• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Whats better for video - old sony camcorder or iPhone 4

Reaction score
I have a sony DCR-HC26E camcorder.

what I would like to know is if the Apple iphone 4 can record video in greater quality than my aging sony as indicated above.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Although the resolution is higher on the iPhone, no phone is ever going to replace a dedicated camcorder. So, if quality is paramount, I would start looking at HD camcorders instead.

OP
B
Reaction score
I will be purchasing the new Iphone 4. What I would like to know is what will be better to use for video, the iphone 4 or my old sony. I do not want to purchase another dedicated camcorder.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be purchasing the new Iphone 4. What I would like to know is what will be better to use for video, the iphone 4 or my old sony. I do not want to purchase another dedicated camcorder.

Well, it's a 720P video camera at 30fps. Since it was just announced yesterday, no one really knows how well it works at this point. If your heart is set on the iPhone 4, you'll find out soon enough. ;D

Reaction score
I think the main question should be, what do u intend on doing with the video.

OP
B
Reaction score
Family movies to one day be edited with imovie. However I want to film them in a decent format at least as good as my current old sony camcorder

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
CWA107 answered the OP perfectly...iPhone4 has video capability...but it should not replace a dedicated device that's use is it's primary function...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Although the resolution is higher on the iPhone, no phone is ever going to replace a dedicated camcorder.

Hey you never know. Who would have thought 5 years ago that cell phones would be doing what they do today. ;)

Is it even appropriate to call the iPhone 4 a cell phone anymore??? :Confused:

- Nick

Reaction score
Family movies to one day be edited with imovie. However I want to film them in a decent format at least as good as my current old sony camcorder

Thanks

if that is what u are doing then I would say get a dedicated device. What happens if u want 2 be recording one of your kids games or bday parties. Do u really want 2 do that with your cell phone. Killing the battery, plus u can directy connect it 2 the tv and watch it that way, then transferring it 2 edit is simple. (I'm not sure of the steps to do that with the iphone.) But I do professional Videographer work. So I guess I could be considered a little bias.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to mention that the iPhone does not have an optical zoom (digital zoom is useless).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
For my personal, camcorder will be more professional than iPhone in video editing, maybe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.