Safari 5 Crashing Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x 2.8Ghz Xeon, 6gb RAM, 64gb SSD, ATI 6670 | MacBook (2008 2.2Ghz, 2gb RAM 160gb HD)
Okay so first of you might have seen Apples new Update for its web Browser "Safari" Safari5

Well after getting the update (through the Software Update Application) I restarted and launched Safari. only to be greeted by "The Application Safari quit unexpectedly"

So I launch it again... Same thing. Restart and launch again... Same thing. Go to the apple site and download the specific Safari 5 for Leopard (10.5.8), install that, restart... and low and behold the same problem...

So I reverted to a backup ad got back my old reliable Safari 4

Just wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem, or is it just me?

Below: Part of My Console Log After the Crash

Code:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: item != nil'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So far, it's just you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x 2.8Ghz Xeon, 6gb RAM, 64gb SSD, ATI 6670 | MacBook (2008 2.2Ghz, 2gb RAM 160gb HD)
Haha, clearly I'm just doing something wrong, either that or Apple hates me...

Ah well I'l leave it for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.5.8 (2.53GHz, 4gb RAM, 300gb HD)
Same thing happens to me, posting from Firefox now. Safari 5 won't display any web page or open new windows. On open New Tab it crashes.

Can you please explain how you reverted to a backup? I don't have the original discs with me.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Safari is crashing constantly. 2 installs, permissions repaired. Crashes when idle or trying to go to links. Hangs, beach ball, crash. Disabled plugins, ad blocker, etc. To no avail.

Reaction score
Good thing I haven't updated yet. I'll hold back for now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
mine crashed once so far (started using it last night)

added: OS mentioned in signature, no plugins besides Glims.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I think it'd be good for everyone that states they have it crash to communicate what version of OSX they are using - of the posts here, 2 of the people that posted about the crashing are using 10.5.8 - I'd be curious if it were limited to a problem with 10.5.x or if it also exists in 10.6.x

---- Added Note:

Doing a search for Safari 5 crashes on google, I noticed a few threads at apple, and of the threads I saw, most of the people posting about it crashing (either as the OP or just a responder) had:

1) OS 10.5.x (usually 5.8)

2) Some plugin that is not compatible with Safari - one of the posts suggested to make sure to remove any additional plugins that could be crashing Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
10.6.3 here and all is well and the only plug-in I use is C2F

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have Glims and C2F installed and while I didn't use Safari 5 much last night, it seemed to work just fine. I don't know if Glims is reported to be compatible or not yet though officially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.5.8 (2.53GHz, 4gb RAM, 300gb HD)
I think it'd be good for everyone that states they have it crash to communicate what version of OSX they are using - of the posts here, 2 of the people that posted about the crashing are using 10.5.8 - I'd be curious if it were limited to a problem with 10.5.x or if it also exists in 10.6.x

I'm on OS 10.5.8 and have NO plugins or add-ons installed. Any idea as to what might help? Or at least a link to downgrade back to Safari 4?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't have any direct solutions, honestly, I'm having no trouble with Safari 5, but I am also on 10.6.3 w/ no additional plugins.

You can check a few places that may help like:

Safari: Add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

I'd also keep my eye on this forum:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari for Mac

as well as this thread:

Apple - Support - Discussions - How do I uninstall safari 5 so can go ...

From some of the threads I read, it appears it's not so easy to go backwards from 5 to 4 as it creates stability issues. I can't confirm this, just relating what I've read.

My primary focus for the post I added earlier was to point out that I think everyone needs to communicate more details to help find the issue. But it does seem, both from the Apple forum, and from the posts here, most people experiencing major problems are from 10.5.8 or plugin incompatibility...

Several have used their backups and restored their system to get back to pre-Safari 5

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you please explain how you reverted to a backup? I don't have the original discs with me.

Thanks!

I keep backups with time machine, so I just removed the new Safari and restore the old one. I think you can still download Safari 4 from the Apple site though...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have Glims and C2F installed and while I didn't use Safari 5 much last night, it seemed to work just fine. I don't know if Glims is reported to be compatible or not yet though officially.

Same here. Appears though that Glims is happy with version 5. Be interesting to see if they post an update.

Regards.

Reaction score
Safari 5 p

I'm on 10.5.8 also. Problem:
1. Safari 5 looks like is has launched (menu bar showing) but if you ask for a new window it crashes. No window ever appears.
2. As above but this time ask for 'show top sites' a solid grey window appears with nothing in it and then it crashes.
3. You can force quit Safari - then go to the apple menu and select Mac OS Software and the Safari menu bar appears - too spooky.
Currently using my old fragile Dell laptop...deep in French countryside so need my Mac back.
Machine is a G5 and the only thing I've added is extra RAM.
Thanks

Reaction score
What worked for me

I was using Safari 5 on OS X 10.5.8. No problems. Then I installed a few extensions. A bit later Safari crashed and then kept crashing upon launch. Coincidence?

Reinstalling, re-booting, removing InputManagers, reverting to Safari 4, deleting .plists, fixing permissions, removing extensions from ~/Library/Safari/Extensions: None of these measures helped.

What finally worked for me was deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari. (This folder also contains an Extensions folder; I speculate that deleting this fixed the crashing in my case.)

I hope this information helps another poor soul at his/her wit's end.

Tri

Reaction score
Crashed out

My MacBook has completely crashed over this Safari 5 install. I am going to try and upgrade my operating system and see if that helps, but I do feel better knowing it wasn't just my karma. At least I have my iPad!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have tried Safari 5 now on 3 machines. iMac G5 with 10.5.8, iBook G4 with 10.5.8 and Intel C2D Mini with 10.6.3. I just have Safari Block and and not one issue so far on any of the machines.

What trellis mentioned could be the issue.

Reaction score
Safari 5 SORTED

SORTED! OKthis worked for me - after trying everything and I mean everything. Somebody wrote "CosmoPod is currently incompatible with Safari 5. Removing it from its resident Library folder deactivates it. Hence, Safari no longer attempts to open it, which eliminates the load problem." "CosmoPod is installed HD>Library>InputManagers folder"

I look and NO CosmoPod but did have CTLoader in Input Manager folder so removed to desktop and hey presto Safari 5 works.

Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Safari crashed when re-organising my bookmarks.
Good thing is that I can exactly reproduce the problem time and time again.

I guess this means waiting for v5.1 and back to Chrome.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.