• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

obtaining material from memory card for iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I mistakenly posted this first in another forum; I have started a project in iMovie and have gotten some stills/video into the project, but I have some other stills/video on a memory card which I want to import.

How do I import those stills/video into the project? When I click on iMovie's file>import after highlighting the memory card shown on the sidebar, I get an iMovie error message which reads, "Folder is not a movie archive. Please select a folder that is a camera archive, then click import".

What do I do to get the material on the memory card into the project?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What camera are you using? Have you successfully imported video from the camera before? If you have, then there is a chance that the photos being on the card are causing a problem (I think there may be a KB entry on it at Apple). Try getting the photos off the card and see if iMovie will recognize the footage...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
These happen to be from a Canon 780 IS, but it seems to me that there should be a way to import material from a memory card, notwithstanding the camera creating it.

What's a "KB" referred to in Nethfel's reply?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
How do I get to Apple>Support>Advanced Search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There is a way to import it usually, but:

1) Some cameras are not supported by iMovie directly. These usually require transcoding prior to import into iMovie (mpegstreamclip or handbrake will do the job nicely)

2) Some cameras (still and video) can put the videos intermixed with stills and that causes a problem for iMovie to identify video files on the memory card, this usually requires removing all of the stills from the card to get iMovie to recognize the footage.

3) KB, as mentioned before stands for Knowledge Base (sorry, I tend to assume people know the initials ;) my bad) - Clayneals link will take you to the initial pages of it as mentioned in clayneals post above this one.

4) it may be possible to directly import the footage by dragging it into your media area in your project if iMovie will accept the format the footage is in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.