Please Help! My External Hard Drive Will Not Show Up!

Reaction score
I have an Iomega 1tb external hard drive that will not boot up on my iMac. All it does is have a blue blinking light when I turn it on. I have had it for about a year and have had no problems in the past. I've tried hooking it up to several different computers to see if it would mount but had no luck. I've also tried switching out the USB cord but had the same results. What should I do? I've have heard of people taking it out of the casing and hooking it up to their mac that way... but I'm a noob when it comes to hardware. If thats what I need to do are there any tutorials you guys can point me to?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First check to see if the drive is still under warranty by iOmega. If it is, give them a call and ask for a RMA. When a drive suddenly refuses to mount it could indicate a hardware problem with the drive itself. All modern hard drives have the controller built in and it's usually the controller that fails (electronically). Don't remove the drive from its casing if it's still under warranty as that will void the warranty.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.