User Login problems.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did a search and couldn't find other posts that helped me, so here goes...

I've done something very stupid, feel free at any point to remind me how stupid I've been.

Basically, I needed to get around the Mac password.

So I pressed Apple + S at start-up and entered the following:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

This forces the Mac to go through the start-up process and create a new admin account.

I don't use Mac's that often and basically I was wonder if there is any way to reverse what I've done and just get it to boot to the old user as normal or if I need to go make a new admin account first?

I'm hoping that if I make a new admin I can just swap back over to the other account when I'm in and delete the admin account that I just made, can someone please let me know if I'm right or wrong in thinking this?

Otherwise does anyone know a command to reverse what I stupidly did? I can log into the old account as I have the password now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
yea that sounds good. like you said that it will run you through the first time setup and you'll just create another admin account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.