cheap and cheerful audio interface for macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey all - I have a macbookpro 13" (2010) model and went to use garageband... the mini jack option seems to be a pain to use and not the best sound quality. I was considering buying a Behringer FCA202 F-Control Audio FireWire Interface but not sure it will do everything I need.

All I want to do is
- direct plug in for guitar, keys and bass
- plug in mic for vocals and recording guitar > amp > mic
- midi is a nice to have, but I have never used this and can use existing USB (I guess)

If I buy the Behringer, do i need any other equipment?

Really appreciate it

Audio Interface Comparison Chart by TweakHeadz Lab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
IMO... If you going to hook up a mic, guitar, keyboard and bass with that interface you will definitely need an external mixer to handle all the inputs all at once. The FCA202F only has basically 2 inputs.
There are plenty of other interfaces that have more than enough inputs and MIDI for your needs but cost a bit more ($400-$1000) with better analog to digital/digital to analog (AD/DA) convertor rates.

Reaction score
Yes. As JUKE said, If you want to record all of the instruments at once, you would want some sort of external gear to mix down to the 2 inputs. If you are recording 1 track at a time, you can use something like an Apogee One with a Built in Mic, Mic Input and a Line In Put. Apogee One and GarageBand (I just mentioned this in a different post!) Apogee Makes great products that work well/easily with Macs. Also Check out PreSonus PreSonus

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.