Figuring Out What My New Laptop Is

Reaction score
Hey forum!

My relative is handing me down his used Mac Book Pro and he isn't very good at telling me which year / model I'm getting. Here's the only info he provided:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB / 256 MB VRAM / 160 GB 5400 rpm

Can anyone decipher from this which model I'm getting? Or from which year?

Thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears to be a late 2007 model.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You can grab mactracker - when you run it, you can select this mac and it should come pretty close to telling you what Mac you have
Mactracker

Reaction score
Hey forum!

My relative is handing me down his used Mac Book Pro and he isn't very good at telling me which year / model I'm getting. Here's the only info he provided:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB / 256 MB VRAM / 160 GB 5400 rpm

Can anyone decipher from this which model I'm getting? Or from which year?

Thank you in advance!

If you would provide the size of your notebook and which graphics card, that can help us narrow it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
In the upper right of your screen click on the 'Apple', then 'About this mac', then 'More Info...'. In the window that comes up make sure in the left column 'Hardware' is selected and on the right, 2nd line it will say 'Model Identifier:'. Note that down and head over to Mac Specs By Machine Model/Model ID - Macs By Identifier @ EveryMac.com find your model and read all about it.

Or you install an app that you will never use again afterwards. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.