What do to?? 13in MBP w/ monitor or 15in MBP i5 or i7 core

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 4 GB RAM, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 250 GB HD. 16GbTouchG1
Need a little help.....

I am in the market for a new Macbook Pro, but I am wondering about the heat issues from the i5/i7 cores.

I use my Macbook Pro for CS4 and Final Cut for graphics and editing....

I currently own a 2.53 13 in that I purchased in Jan.
(long story why I want new one.. )

I am debating two different options

1. A 13in Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a Apple 24in Cinema display. I would also upgrade the HD to 500 GB.

2. A 15in Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 processor with a 500 Gb 7200 rpm drive.

Both will be about the same final cost......

The only thing keeping me from getting the i7 15 in is the heat issues.....

What do you guys think????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
2. You'll love the portability and power of the 15" pro.

I can kick myself in the butt three times over for not getting a 15 inch MBP in the first place.

OP
iSchwinnJim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 4 GB RAM, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 250 GB HD. 16GbTouchG1
2. You'll love the portability and power of the 15" pro.

I can kick myself in the butt three times over for not getting a 15 inch MBP in the first place.

What about the heat issues with the i5/i7 cores?? Seems like they run hot??

Reaction score
What about the heat issues with the i5/i7 cores?? Seems like they run hot??

Actually, the i5/i7 will be less likely to have heat issues than the previous Core 2 Duos. The i5/i7 have thermal monitoring technologies where as the Core 2 Duos do not. That is why the i5/i7 spend most of their time in idle mode (@ 2.4, 2.53, and 2.66GHz) to protect from overheating and reduce power dissipation. Both the i5/i7 and Core 2 Duos have the max thermal design power of 35 watts meaning they can all dissipate up to 35 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the chip. I understand there are a lot of threads out there concerning heat issues with the core i5/i7 Macbook Pros. However, there were the same threads out there concerning about heat issues before this new generation of Macbook Pros even came out which means it's the design of the Macbook Pro that causes the heat problem rather than the processors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.