Macbook Pro beeping on startup

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2008 2.4ghz macbook pro running 10.6 with no applecare.. It started beeping at startup so I swapped out the ram, tried resetting the PRAM and even tried booting in safe mode - no success, still beeping.

Is the logic board dead or do I still have hope.

Thanks in advance !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
When I upgraded my RAM, I didn't have one of them seated right. I tried to power up, it started beeping and didn't startup. After I readjusted the RAM it stopped beeping. Everything came back to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Double check the RAM install. Pull them out and re-seat them, as I would guess that is more than likely the problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
As i stated in my original post, beeping started happening before i changed the ram. I triple checked it with different ram.

Any professional input ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
As i stated in my original post, beeping started happening before i changed the ram. I triple checked it with different ram.

Any professional input ?

I guess I misread the original post. Maybe an Apple store can give you the "professional" help you desire.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well of course apple will replace the logic board for $330 which aint bad. I was just wondering if someone who knows about apple computers would have some insight as to whether or not there might be another culprit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you check at the website that Ivan gave? The four beeps could mean a new Logic board is needed. (refer to the second set of beep codes not the first).

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yep its the logic board. Now trying to see if I can get that $330 flat rate special from apple. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the help

Reaction score
I guess I misread the original post. Maybe an Apple store can give you the "professional" help you desire.

Hi

I have the 3 beeps at start up after putting in new ram

I put in 8Gbs of OWC ram, I can't get my MacBook Pro 2.93Ghz to accept it.

If I put back in the original ram, it works fine.

Can someone give me the steps to get my laptop to accept the ram?

Or did I spend allot of money on ram Apple won't accept?

Change that request, I managed to get it to accept 1 OWC ram chip, with the upper slot with the original ram =6GBs ram
One I add the second OWC chip and restart it begins beeping again? It doesn't matter which OWC chip I put in, it needs at least 1 original chip in the top slot to get it to work?

Help

Richard

OP
S
Reaction score
Try resetting the PRAM.

If that doesnt work, it is possible that you got some bad ram from OWC. Call them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.