Deleted 127gb file called " .Sparsebundle" BIG PROBLEMS

Reaction score
I was on my account (Admin, filevault) and I kept on getting messages about startup disk being almost full or full, so I installed directory X or something, located the file and trashed it, then I emptied trash, while it was being emptied it said, cannot delete file whatever because it's in use, whatever, I kept going.

Now I'm on my gf's account (no file vault or Admin) I can't do anything because even when I go to system pref/ users and click on the lock to change things, I put my user name and password and nothing happens, same thing when I log out from her account and try to log into mine, it doesn't recognize anything, and then it says enter "Master password" so I enter it, it recognizes THAT.

Then It will say enter new password but when I do the screen keeps shaking!!!!

I can't afford to send it in for maybe this month maybe next......I need the comp and the files for school way before that, Any help is appreciated cause I am screwed.......

...this sucks....

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually, if there's a way to access my files through her account.....I will just copy them all on a dvd or flash drive, format the whole thing cause it's got a lot of junk anyway and then re-install the OS.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have deleted your account.

Stop using the drive NOW!!!

The bad news is that i have not read any accounts of people recovering data from damaged/deleted fievault sparsebundles. Am no expert here by any stretch of the imagination, but the issue even with recovery software is recovering the sparsebundle with the file structure in such a way that makes it mountable.

Have not checked to see if any of this software will be of use in the case, but you can try:
Stellar Phoenix
Prosoft Data Rescue

The next option is going to be sending to professionals, probably at a few $k in cost.

(For anyone new to OSX reading this, do not use filevault.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Stop using the drive NOW!!!

Why?

Have not checked to see if any of this software will be of use in the case, but you can try:
Stellar Phoenix
Prosoft Data Rescue

The next option is going to be sending to professionals, probably at a few $k in cost.

Can't use software because it won't let me install anything since my account was the only admin!

(For anyone new to OSX reading this, do not use filevault.

YES!

If I buy a new OS CD/DVD, is there anyway I can format this hard drive, cry for the loss and use it? Also, where can I get a cheap one? thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The more you use it, the more you are overwriting the very data you wish to recover.

You need to check the software, I believe both of those have boot discs so that you can recover data from non-bootable drives.

If you're going to chalk it up as a loss and move on, you don't need a new disc, you only need to insert your original disc and do a clean install. I would certainly recommend backing up your g/f's data prior to doing this.

If you've lost your discs, call Apple and request a replacement set.

OP
M
Reaction score
will this work? Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard

It's only an update but I have a macbook 10.5.6 and it costs $30 @ Amazon.com

OP
M
Reaction score
The more you use it, the more you are overwriting the very data you wish to recover.

You need to check the software, I believe both of those have boot discs so that you can recover data from non-bootable drives.

If you're going to chalk it up as a loss and move on, you don't need a new disc, you only need to insert your original disc and do a clean install. I would certainly recommend backing up your g/f's data prior to doing this.

I don't have the original disc!!! Keeps getting worse and worse......

Not much info here anyway, she uses her laptop mostly.......

Quick replies! thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I saw your edit, I'll call apple for a replacement.

When this macbook dies, I'll stick to $400 laptops.

After 4 mp3 players, 2 computers, 1 tv in less than a year I don't think I can have nice things.

Thanks for your help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, if your Mac shipped with Leopard, then you are eligible for the $30 upgrade to SL.

You can get it from your local Apple store, maybe BB, and it's usually only $25 at Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.