Any other Fusion users?

Reaction score
O.K so i have been toying with the idea of putting Windows on my mac for a while, i don't need it for much, basically just checking some things for work are cross compatible. It's also nice to have a proper version of msn too.
That really is about it, no heavy usage.

So far it works fine but my question is....
Does anybody else find it glitchy/freezing up/being a general bit of a pain when switching from the fusion window to any running mac OSX apps?

Also it sent my MBP haywire when i had it in "unity" mode while watching a movie on VLC (OSX) and i stopped it to check an email.

I know the obvious issue may be not enough RAM and i think i propbably will upgrade that when i get home, but right now i am on the other side of the world. Does anybody know any quick fixes that could cut down on this a bit?

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have and how much have you allocated to OSX and Windows? And which version of Windows are you running - Vista requires more resources than either XP or Win7, for example. I have not had this issue and I am running Fusion on a 3-year old MacBook with 2 GB of RAM (allocated 1 GB to each of OSX and XP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Another question is when you setup the virtual machine, how many processors did you assign to it? If you assigned anything greater then 1, then you'll have problems. If you check the FAQs at VMWares site you'll find that they only recommend you setting a VM to use more then 1 core on a machine that has at least 4 real cores...

If you set it up to multiple cores, that could cause your freezing as for one thing the cores need to be in sync and both available for the VM to use it which won't leave time for the host OS which can cause serious performance issues. Honestly, even on my octo core mac pro I still have my VM set to single core.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have Fusion 3.0, but I keep it in isolated mode, because it can carry viruses over if you use seamless. When setting up, just use 1 processor core, if you use both, it will slow down OSX. For now, all depending on which version of Windows you're running, cut down the amount of RAM and graphics it has access to. When you get home, yes, upgrade the RAM, but also think about using Bootcamp, especially for watching movies, which you can use in OSX anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use Fusion and don't experience much of what you're seeing. As others have said, it depends on you setting.

How much RAM do you have and how much did you assign to Fusion? Also what version of Windows are you running in it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.