itunes files not playing on ipod

Reaction score
I know this is a common problem, and there are several possible solutions. Anyway, my 2007 80 gb iPod classic has been giving me trouble lately. A good number of iTunes files, a few which were iTunes purchases don't play the iPod, yet work fine with iTunes.

I have already thoroughly reformated the iPod with the disk utility a couple of times. The iPod works fine, in any other respect. It just doesn't seem to play a handful of songs.

So I know the problem is probably that these songs are corrupted files that should probably be deleted and then reinstalled. I have no problem doing that, but I want to avoid this in the future.

So, my question is this; how do iTunes files become damaged? How can I prevent this?

Also, my iTunes library is big, and I have about 40 GB of files. Doing the math this should fit in a 80 GB ipod. But are there problems associated with having large iTunes libraries? The iPod has seen allot of use as well. Should I be cautious about pushing it's limits by using allot of its harddrive space?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.