• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

h.264

Reaction score
Is the h.264 format a better quality than the divex and avi? I was thinking of storing my movies in this newer stlye format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
if i remeber correctly
avi and divx is only a container and the h.264 is a type of compression

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
AVI is a container, DivX and h.264 are both codecs.

The avi container isn't one you'd want to put h.264 encoded video into tho. For h.264, you want to use a container like mp4 or mkv.

OP
A
Reaction score
why wouldn't i want to use h.264 with avi? Is h.264 going to be the way to go? Is it alot better then divex? I am also wondering if my ps3 will recognize the h.264 sinec I use my imac as a video server for my ps3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You've somewhat already answered your own question. Aside from the fact that AVI is an antiquated container, if you look at the specs for the PS3 - and unless something has changed - for AVI containers, it only supports motion jpeg for video. It does not support H.264 in avi (and honestly, most things don't by default. It will work on many peoples windows based systems because they usually have something like KLite or CCCP on their system which is very flexible for decoding video regardless of container).

See here for ps3 video:

PS3™ | Types of files that can be played (I got this with a quick search on google for PS3 video formats)

Your only containers that the PS3 will play back that have H.264 video are mpeg2 TS or mpeg4.

mpeg2 ts files don't play nice with quicktime on the Mac, and most transcoders will more easily output a .mp4 over an mpeg2 TS file.

Output to a mp4/H.264/AAC audio and you should be fine.

C

chas_m

mp4/H.264/AAC is also well-supported by iPods, iTunes, iPhones, QuickTime, iPod Touches -- well you get the idea. This is Apple's preferred format, so yes I think that is the way to go for maxiumum compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.