Please help, trouble with external hard drive

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive with two partitions, one being formatted as FAT32 and the other (the important one that I have all my school work saved on) is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and so, I was working on some homework and was connecting the hard drive when my Macbook suddenly froze. So I had to manually turn it off. When I turned it back on, the hard drive only shows one partition, the FAT32 and the other partition is not showing/mounting at all. I've tried replugging and ejecting the disk to no use. I've checked the disk utility and tried to mount it from there, but it said for me to try running First Aid and repair disk. I did so, and verifying it as well, but it says that the Filesystem failed. Is there any way to fix this? Are all my files gone and is any way to recover them? I really need some help, anything is greatly appreciated because all the important files are in this external drive. Please help me. Thank you so much!
------
(I have a MacBook Pro and is running OSX version 10.5.8 and the external hard drive is a WD Elements 1.5TB, connecting via USB.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.