Monitor options for photo editing

S

sassafras

Hi, I currently have an iBook and am looking to upgrade to a Mac desktop. The only problem is that I am an aspiring digital photographer and have heard from some other photographers in the past that as far as color management/correction is concerned, I should stay away from LCD screens and stick to CRT monitors. Does anyone know if theory still stands? I know that I have seen color management systems that say they can be used for CRT and LCD, but I am a little skeptical. I know that I could go for the Power Mac and just hook up a CRT monitor to it, but I am wondering if I can get away with the less-expensive, space-saving option of getting an iMac. Any help is greatly appreciated!

OP
S

speedydave

LCDs are catching up with CRTs, but IMO, CRTs still have an edge over LCDs if cost is playing a part in the overall assessment. There are some very nice LCDs out right now (especially the Apple standalone monitors), but in order to get the same size and quality out of an LCD, you're going to pay a lot more. 20" LCDs are becoming pretty affordable ($700ish for the Apple 20", I believe), but if you want to go bigger than that, it'll cost you (the Apple 23" is almost twice as much as the 20").

Bottom line, though, is calibration. CRTs are still (from what I know) easier to calibrate than LCDs, and what really matters in digital imaging isn't necessarily what kind of monitor you're using, but making sure that what you see on your screen is what you'll see when your image is printed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I personally like LCDs better for video editing, but then again I am not making things for print so I don't know the difference

OP
S

sassafras

Thanks for all the responses. From what you have all said, it seems that it is possible to accurately calibrate a LCD screen, but it is just more difficult than working with a CRT moniter...am I getting this right? So, an iMac wouldn't be completely out of the question for right now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.