• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm building an underground lair...NBD!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Water wouldn't be the only thing to consider.

When you build some kind of underground room, you'll generally need a retaining structure to keep the soil from caving in on you (I'm no doctor but it can be bad for your health;D)...will your wooden shell/frame perform that function?
Have you checked the wooden elements you're going to use, to see if it will withstand the active pressure.

Reason for me asking this is, the soil pressure at 8 feet below is quite high to retain...even the pressure treated plywood will help nothing if you wooden structure fails.

I'm not shooting your project down or anything, just don't want to see someone get burried alive...and being burried alive could get boring after some time if you haven't got company;D.

If you already have considered the structural effects, then rock on! Post some pics soon.

Same here - I didn't think about that aspect either. And by no means am I an expert in construction (just the average DIYer around the house), but am pretty sure you're going to need some concrete block or a poured concrete structure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You can find all of that and much more on the link I posted earlier. There are some independent-minded folks who have already done the research, and some pretty useful formulas for load at depth, roof span and the like. Why reinvent the wheel? Good luck. BTW - concrete block is the way to go, unless you part with the money for a "tube". Wood can rot, and metal will corrode in soil fairly quickly in an sort of moist environment.

Reaction score
Same here - I didn't think about that aspect either. And by no means am I an expert in construction (just the average DIYer around the house), but am pretty sure you're going to need some concrete block or a poured concrete structure.
Well, concrete would be ideal but this will pushup the costs. When you pour concrete, you'll need to do proper formwork, and that on it's own is a structural consideration due to the wet concrete pressure. Then there's the reinforcement and concrete cost itself.

It could be done by wood, but just not with a few odd bit and pieces here and there.
If smartly designed, you could have a desent and safe structure.

Another thing, the structure (wooden or something else) will need to be properly founded...it'll need a foundation of some sort to anchor it...otherwise the main elements would kick out at the bottom and guess what'll happen then.

I'm just a structural engineer, but these are the things I'd look at when considering to build a cool underground place.

Reaction score
Man that sounds awsome. Thats the only downfall I dont like about living on the south east coast of Texas, we have no cellars here and I wish we did. Good luck to you and I am going to watch your blog for progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
When I saw the title of the post I imagined your wife had given you free reign of your basement and you were going to make an awesome man-cave full of all kinds of technological and manly goodies.

But a hole in the ground sounds nice too. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.