Word won't open on G5

Reaction score
I just copied Microsoft Office 2008 from my laptop to my Mac G5 (OS X, version 10.4.11) but it won't open. It just bounces once then nothing...
Is this a legal thing? I believe I'm within my rights to have a copy of Office on both my desktop and my laptop am I not?
Am I doing something wrong? I can see the files in the Apps folder but they just won't open.
Any help appreciated PS I'm a luddite so please explain all steps as if to a 5 Yr Old child thanks :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this a legal thing? I believe I'm within my rights to have a copy of Office on both my desktop and my laptop am I not?

Actually you are not within your rights. If what you have is a single user license...then one install per disk...that's the way it works!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft Office 2008 comes with three serial numbers Nick. So it can legally be installed on up to three machines within the same household. (MS EULA)

To the OP: You can't just "copy" MS Office 2008 and expect it to work. You need to break out your original media and "install" it using another of the three serial numbers you were supplied with the CD package. Do not use the same SN as on your other machine. Office 2008 places files and folders in many different places within OS X which is the reason why you can't copy rather than install it.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Microsoft Office 2008 comes with three serial numbers Nick. So it can legally be installed on up to three machines within the same household. (MS EULA)

REALLY! I don't remember my most recent Office 2008 for the Mac having 3 serial numbers. But I'm sure you're right...my mistake!!!:Oops:

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think they started doing that with Office 2008. I guess I should further clarify ... it's for the Home and Educational version. I believe the Standard and Professional version EULA still states two installs.

Same EULA limitations are also for the Win versions. The Home and Educational version gets three installs there also. But the caveat with the Win versions is that you only get one SN but it can be activated up to XXX times depending on the version. Confused now? :D

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think they started doing that with Office 2008. I guess I should further clarify ... it's for the Home and Educational version. I believe the Standard and Professional version EULA still states two installs.

Two or three installs (two or three serial numbers)...is still more than one...so I'm still wrong! Ha Ha!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hey...so I dug out my Office 2008 for Macintosh...and just like I remembered...I only have one 25-digit product key.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mine also Nick but it does seem you can use it more than once subject to the app being on one computer at a time only. Re-activation accepted by Microsoft and a slightly different Product ID, not activation code, allocated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine also Nick but it does seem you can use it more than once subject to the app being on one computer at a time only.

Thanks for the info Harry.

I think (from the way it sounds) that the OP wanted to have MS Office installed on both their laptop & desktop at the same time.

When I said that it can only be installed on one computer at a time (in my initial post above)...I was basing that statement on my experience with my copy of Office 2008 for the Macintosh...where I only have one 25 digit product key.

So as far as I understand...one product key means installed on only one computer at a time.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey...so I dug out my Office 2008 for Macintosh...and just like I remembered...I only have one 25-digit product key.
- Nick

Which version is it Nick? Only the Home and Student version ships with three product keys. The Standard and Pro versions have one key. However, each key allows two installs: One desktop and one portable.

Since there is no activation involved with Mac Office, it's the honor system that prevails.

PS: Here's a link that attempts to explain the MS EULA for Mac Office.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which version is it Nick? Only the Home and Student version ships with three product keys. The Standard and Pro versions have one key. However, each key allows two installs: One desktop and one portable.

Since there is no activation involved with Mac Office, it's the honor system that prevails.

Thanks for the link...that was very helpful & informative.

I think that there was a thread the other day (might have even been your thread as I recall..unless I'm mixed up;))...mentioning how you got a great deal on Office. I replied that I had gotten a $20 deal on Office 2008 for Mac (actually my wife got it from where she works).

This is the "Home Use Program" version...so maybe it is really only supposed to be used at home by the "employee" when not at work. It only has one product key.

Very interesting that each product key for MS Office entitles the owner to 2 installs/product key (1 laptop & 1 desktop)...of course a further stipulation is that you're only supposed to be on one computer at time. So one person is not supposed to be in one room using Office, and a 2nd person in another room on the 2nd computer using office (both computers with the same Office product key). And so if someone had 3 product keys...that would entitle them to 6 installs (but only 3 installs used at the same time...each with a different product key).

Thanks again for the link...interesting info!:). Microsoft definitely has a different way of defining installs of Office...versus Apple OS single user license installs...and other software installs such as the very popular Adobe Creative Suite programs.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.