as an e-reader

Reaction score
Hi all...... Have any of you been using your ipad extensively as an e-reader? I was considering buying a Kindle, but the ipad can do so much more (unfortunately it costs twice as much!) How do you like reading books on your ipad (either via Kindle app or ibook)??

thanks!!

jeff

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
About 3/4s my use is as an eReader. Specifically got mine instead of Kindle. Some people talk about potential eyestrain and glare but hasn't been a problem so far.
IMHO the Kindle is no competition. In addition to the larger size, and color screen there is the multiple-use advantage.

A better comparison to the iPad is the Kindle DX IMO (same screen size) but then the price difference is not so great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use it to read my class assignments and have read a few books using the Kindle app. Still waiting on e-book prices to decline before I purchase more books.

OP
S
Reaction score
About 3/4s my use is as an eReader. Specifically got mine instead of Kindle. Some people talk about potential eyestrain and glare but hasn't been a problem so far.
IMHO the Kindle is no competition. In addition to the larger size, and color screen there is the multiple-use advantage.

A better comparison to the iPad is the Kindle DX IMO (same screen size) but then the price difference is not so great.

thanks for the info.....pretty much what I was thinking. There seems to be a lot of talk on the web about how the Kindle is better (because it looks more like paper, and there's less eye-strain, etc) Personally, I'm leaning towards the ipad because it can be used to read in the dark (the Kindle has no backlight.) eyestrain would be my main concern when reading on the ipad.

jeff

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A short list (incomplete) of what I've read on the iPhone and iPad

iPhone:
Red Storm Rising
Patriot Games
Pandoras Legions
Retief
The War Gods Own
Witches of Karres
(many others)

iPad:
SPQR I
SPQR II
SPQR III
SPQR IV
SPQR VII
SPQR VIII
SPQR X
Methusalehs Children
SPQR IX (currently reading)

So, as you can see, I don't see any problem with the iPad as an eReader. But, everybody's different. If you can swing a hour at the Apple Store try it yourself and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Since I got the iPad I've read a few books on it both in the Kindle and the iBook apps. I think the iBook app is quite a bit polished than the kindle, which I expected. But I already had a lot of hooks on my kindle, which I sold, so it was a no brained for me to download my 30 or so books on the iPad through the app.

Tou can always turn down the screen's brightness in order to reduce eye strain. Reading on the iPad is actually pretty neat.

Cheers

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I use Kindle Reader for iPad a lot.

Not really used iBooks, apart from the free iPad Manual :)

Reaction score
Not really going to be reading books until ebook prices drop below the cost of paperback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I use it for reading technical reference documents.

C

chas_m

I don't plan on being a huge reader of ebooks until the price drops, like dewthedru said, but there is a huge library of free or low-cost books available in the ePub format from various sources so I don't anticipate any shortage of quality reading material till the prices for new ebooks comes down ...

I don't yet own an iPad (getting one for my birthday) but I did spend some time reading a book on one recently, and I just don't see where this "eyestrain" thing started from (apart, I suspect, from Amazon). Resizable type beyond what the Kindle can do, plus colour, plus better brightness control, plus a very high refresh rate? This "eyestrain" dog won't hunt, as they say in the deep south. IMHO, YMMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Hi all...... Have any of you been using your ipad extensively as an e-reader? I was considering buying a Kindle, but the ipad can do so much more (unfortunately it costs twice as much!) How do you like reading books on your ipad (either via Kindle app or ibook)??

thanks!!

jeff

I have both. I much prefer the kindle for reading books-- it's a lot lighter and has better controls for turning pages. I wouldn't say I suffer from eye strain on the iPad, but it's just way more comfortable to read on the e-ink screen than on a backlit lcd for me.

You can also use a bunch of free/low cost books on the kindle, just like on the iPad, so that's really a non-issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
Get the iPad 3G and the free Kindle app? :D

OP
S
Reaction score
carjack the

Well, all they had at the Apple store was the 64g model, while all I was looking for was the 16g.........so, I'll either order online or wait a bit. Doesn't help that I'm probably ordering a new iphone on Tuesday...:D

Reaction score
My wife and I just sold our house and most of our
Your Mac's Specs
I have 2 - 1 is an iMac 24 and the other is a Macbook Pro 17 inch
Deleting of books, magazines, and especially newspapers from iPad

I am seriously looking into getting an iPad for reading ebooks but was wondering if there is a way to delete books, magazines and especially newspapers after I am through reading them and do not want them on my library.
Has anyone experienced this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
Just uncheck books in iTunes and sync..... And in the Kindle/Kobo and other ebook apps just delete....

Wife and I sold our Sony readers after having our ipads. We much prefer the iPad to the dull grey, and dark eInk screen. There are a bunch of used Kindles and Sonys for sale right now ......

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been reading through the SPQR series and noticed something unusual when I got to Book No. XI. It alone of the series (I don't know why) isn't available in electronic format.

Up until XI I had been averaging about 3 days per book, but I've been on No. XI for almost a week and am only 1/2 way through. I don't think I'm reading any slower, just don't read as consistently.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing? If so it could mean a big increase long term in book sales as more people shift to eBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
The main issue for me with using the iPad for an eReader is that it is limited to the iPad. I also have two iPod Touches and with the Kindle app, B&N eReader and Stanza, I can read the same book on any device plus my PC, but with the iBook, you can only read books on the iPad... period. So for now, I will keep using the Kindle app as my primary eReader.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That should be taken care of with iOS 4. But you are correct. imho, the kindle reader is way ahead of iBooks at practically every area at this time. Haven't seen any sales figures on it, but I'd bet amazon sales of ebooks have grown 25% since the release of the iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.