iMac for audio recording

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
So...my basic question is how will the iMac fair in getting me into GarageBand and possibly other recording software?

My parents have agreed to buy me a 15" PowerBook the summer before college, so I'm cool with that. But I really want to get a Mac now so I can learn the OS and make a great home studio. (Talking about Apples at this forum makes me want one so bad. I used to go through bestbuy all the time to look at the iPods, and now that I have one I go through to look at the MacMini)

At first, I was thinking in the direction of the Mini, but with the lack of certain ports, speed, and the fact that I am so vain I would want the full package (all Apple goods including display). I then began to look to the eMac. But then I got my new summer job and realized I was going to be making a lot of money. So, it's now the iMac at the end of the summer, NO MATTER WHAT MY PARENTS SAY!!!! (sorry bout that). I just don't know which. At the moment, I'm thinking the middle of the road model. All the speed but with a lesser price tag. How will that do for me?

The reason I'm looking at the $1500 one as opposed to the 20" is because I'd like to invest that money in thinks like RAM (probably up it to 1 gb, a midi keyboard, a microphone, some good speakers (maybe the soundsticks), and some sort of port for me to plug my guitar into (at the moment I'm looking at the PreSonus FireBox). If this a bad choice, let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions on good computer based recording hardware I'd appreciate it.

T

Tel

I do remember seeing a really nice midi keyboard that matches the design of the the Mac keyboard and allowed the Mac keyboard slide under it. I'm sure someone here will remember the site. The soundsticks are great, I use them myself and would highly recomend them. As for hardware for line in etc. I'm still looking at something to buy to connect my guitar too, if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it too.

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tel said:
I do remember seeing a really nice midi keyboard that matches the design of the the Mac keyboard and allowed the Mac keyboard slide under it. I'm sure someone here will remember the site. The soundsticks are great, I use them myself and would highly recomend them. As for hardware for line in etc. I'm still looking at something to buy to connect my guitar too, if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it too.

That keyboard you're talking about this the GarageKey by MacMice. I asked acouple of questions about it on a GarageBand Mac forum, MacJams. They basically said that it kind of sucked and I should get one of those Keystations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey!

I'd take a look at getting the previous revision iMac G5 through Apple's second hand store:
Apple Certified iMac G5
iMac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ 56K/ 20-inch - Apple Certified Refurbished
Learn More
• Save 27% off the original price
Original price: $1,899.00
Your price: $1,399.00

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. You'd lose bluetooth & Wifi as well as the 256MB's of Ram, but you could add all that for less than $400,-

The only downside is that bluetooth would be via a dongle - if you even need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I can tell you one thing. Macs are great for recording artists. Not mine though...
Loud, obnoxious (intermittently) - even louder than an mdd G4! VERY dissapointed!
Thanks
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Alexmaccoll - I know that our iMac at work gets very loud when copying large amounts of data to or from a firewire disk...
Are you using firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac g5 1.8ghz 1 gb ram iBook G4 1.2ghz 768 mb ram
i am a producer and i recently purchased an iMac for recording. this is whats worked for me, i got the 17 inch imac with 1gb of ram, i recently bought the firewire solo (which in ebay runs about 120, that will be good for using a condenser mic), you can get a good condenser mic for 70 at musicians friend, soundsticks might not be the best thing for recording, i use rolands which were 150 a pair (they sound great). Midi keyboards are pretty cheap, but i use a microkorg. All of this will be sufficient to start a small studio, youll find that over the years you collect more and more stuff. im about to start college and all of my money from work goes to recording. i hope this helped you get an idea of what you need to get started.

-thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
WasabiTaylor said:
So...my basic question is how will the iMac fair in getting me into GarageBand and possibly other recording software?

My parents have agreed to buy me a 15" PowerBook the summer before college, so I'm cool with that. But I really want to get a Mac now so I can learn the OS and make a great home studio. (Talking about Apples at this forum makes me want one so bad. I used to go through bestbuy all the time to look at the iPods, and now that I have one I go through to look at the MacMini)

At first, I was thinking in the direction of the Mini, but with the lack of certain ports, speed, and the fact that I am so vain I would want the full package (all Apple goods including display). I then began to look to the eMac. But then I got my new summer job and realized I was going to be making a lot of money. So, it's now the iMac at the end of the summer, NO MATTER WHAT MY PARENTS SAY!!!! (sorry bout that). I just don't know which. At the moment, I'm thinking the middle of the road model. All the speed but with a lesser price tag. How will that do for me?

The reason I'm looking at the $1500 one as opposed to the 20" is because I'd like to invest that money in thinks like RAM (probably up it to 1 gb, a midi keyboard, a microphone, some good speakers (maybe the soundsticks), and some sort of port for me to plug my guitar into (at the moment I'm looking at the PreSonus FireBox). If this a bad choice, let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions on good computer based recording hardware I'd appreciate it.

Hi WasabiTaylor,

This may be completely off-topic to you, but I just wanted to make a friendly suggestion. If you're into headphones at all, the Sennheiser HD 280 Professional are really great for DJs, musicians, as well as music lovers in general. They cost roughly $100 at NewEgg. I received mine some 3 months ago and I can tell you that my only regret is that I didn't get these earlier. They're very comfortable and snug and even fit a huge head like mine! haha! :biohazard

I don't create music of my own, but I listen to it just about non-stop, and these headphones make it a great experience... So there ya go, just a suggestion. :headphone

- vr04

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
I think the M-Audio's line of Audio interfaces (I like Fast Track USB) will be great for plugging in your guitar. Me, I couldn't afford it, so I got the iMic. Doing the job for now :)

T

tim malster

if you want to record audio why not go "Pro" and get yourself a digidesign Mbox. Using pro tools will set you up for a lifetime of top drawer audio recording. I run one on my imac and it is sweeeeet!

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tim malster said:
if you want to record audio why not go "Pro" and get yourself a digidesign Mbox. Using pro tools will set you up for a lifetime of top drawer audio recording. I run one on my imac and it is sweeeeet!

I've heard a lot of great things about the MBox. Two of my cousins just recently graduated with audio engineering degrees and they now both work in different studios. I was talking with one of them and he recommeded the MBox and said that he had used it many times. He seemed to love it.

For some reason, I guess I was under the impression taht FireWire would be better than USB 2.0. If I'm wrong please tell me, because that is the reason that I was thinking along the lines of the FireBox.

T

tim malster

USB connection speed is fine because you are ony ever sending a max of 4 mono inputs in or out at any one time on the Mbox (2x XLR/TRS inputs & SPDIF). The focusrite pre's are nice too. I am loving mine, and with my G5 imac I've managed to mix down a 23track session with automation and plenty of processing! Seriously worth a thought.....

The nice thing about it is that in the future you can upgrade to a 002 or even the digidesign HD Pro systems and you will know how to use the software.

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.