Horizontal lines, display issues- macbook unibody

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got a Macbook Unibody, bought it in 2008.

There has developed a problem with the display where the screen has horizontal lines that begin light, and become more distinct. Eventually, the screen will become jumbled and erratic. This continues until i physically move the display on the hinge (forward or backward) after-which the problem stops and the screen returns to normal or goes back to very light lines and the pattern continues.

This leads me to think that there is a problem with some sort of display cable connections rather than the screen itself or the video card/logic board.

3 Questions:

1- Is this assumption correct?
2- If it is a cable, what type of replacement part should i look for, or is as simple as reconnecting something?
3- Can you point me to a good forum or repair service that could help me?

Thanks for all help and replies.

Best Regards.

Reaction score
I've seen 1 bad display cable in almost 2 years. Keep in mind a lot of the electronics related to the LCD on this machine are located near the hinge.

If you tap hard and firm with one finger around the unibody frame of your macbook behind the screen, does it change? If so, where does it change?

OP
N
Reaction score
I just tapped on the right metal part next to the hinge and it seemed to cause the picture to shift occasionally, but did not have near the effect of moving the screen, which causes the screen to normalize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.5.8
I am having your exact same problem. Please help! How much did it cost to repair, how long did it take, and what was wrong exactly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.