Help, G4 can't connect to Linksys router

Reaction score
Hi everybody, it's my fist time posting.
I'm in need of some help. A couple of days ago I purchased a new WRT54G2 Linksys router and all the computers can connect fine except my Mac G4 desktop which for some reason does not function with this router.
Whenever I try to connect to it, the airport displays an error message stating: "There was a problem establishing the connection."
I am pretty certain that it has to do with the encryption mechanism, since it will connect fine to the router when there's no wireless security enabled.
I have the router set up with WPA2 Personal encryption, but even with WPA or WEP the mac won't complete the connection! It's very odd because all the other computers in the house can connect just fine wirelessly.
So, does anyone have any advise??
Oh btw, I have upgraded the router to it's latest firmware.

Much thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Similar Problem

I am having a similar problem with a netgear router. I had to replace an older router (also netgear). The old one worked fine on all my computers, including a powermac G4. The new one works fine with my IMAc and macBook, but not on the G4. I think it is because the new router uses a WPA2 security scheme. The G4 only will let me select a WEP scheme. I can't seem to find anything that will allow me to upgrade the G4 to use a WPA2 security scheme. I hope someone reading these two posts will have an idea.

I did talk briefly to Apple about it, and they said there probably were work-arounds that could be found on the internet. I haven't found them yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.