Snow Leopard Opera Web Browser problem?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 ghz with snow leopard 10.5.8. I downloaded some different web browsers like: OmniWeb, Flock and the already installed Safari. I heard a lot of pros for the Opera and I just wanted tried but....

When I download the App from the Opera site and put it in the apps folder and opened it shows that Mac OS X quit unexpectedly. I downloaded the AppCleaner and quit every thing from the downloaded opera. Downloaded again and it shows the same message. I have already do this 3 times and shows the same message. What is the problem?

I checked all the search options that the search button give me and I can find anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try this. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
open -a /Applications/Opera.app
Press enter and wait for Opera to crash. Do you get any error messages in the Terminal? Works fine here on Snow Leopard and always has.

OP
V
Reaction score
You say you are running 10.5.8 but call it Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is 10.6.x. Are you getting the correct version of Opera? Just wondering as it runs fine on my Intel Mac.

You getting it from here?

Thank you for downloading Opera

When I go to "about this mac" it says Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 and I bought it on January 2010. I run a system software update and it says that is up to date. And yes, that is the link that I'm downloading the Opera.

OP
V
Reaction score
Try this. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
open -a /Applications/Opera.app
Press enter and wait for Opera to crash. Do you get any error messages in the Terminal? Works fine here on Snow Leopard and always has.

It even open, the icon of opera in the dock keeps jumping and jumping until the message of Mac OS X quit unexpectedly.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried running it as I previously suggested? That should hopefully report back some errors if there is something wrong. If nothing is reported back, try the following (I don't know if this will be any different but it's worth a shot):
Code:
/Applications/Opera.app/Contents/MacOS/Opera
Enter that in the Terminal and press enter.

EDIT: Not quick enough I see.

OP
V
Reaction score
Have you tried running it as I previously suggested? That should hopefully report back some errors if there is something wrong. If nothing is reported back, try the following (I don't know if this will be any different but it's worth a shot):
Code:
/Applications/Opera.app/Contents/MacOS/Opera
Enter that in the Terminal and press enter.

EDIT: Not quick enough I see.

It says "Killed" and now shows " -600 error"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How much free disk space do you currently have? How large is your hard drive?

Also, try moving the following file to your desktop: ~/Library/Preferences/com.operasoftware.Opera.plist (~ is shorthand for your home directory). After you have done that, try to restart Opera.

OP
V
Reaction score
How much free disk space do you currently have? How large is your hard drive?

Also, try moving the following file to your desktop: ~/Library/Preferences/com.operasoftware.Opera.plist (~ is shorthand for your home directory). After you have done that, try to restart Opera.

500 GB Hard Disk and 421.58 still free (I have a 1 TB to put all the 5h1t). It still doing the same and now I can't Force Quit the Opera. It says that is protected and can't be quit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I had much the same experience running Opera on my Leopard and Snow Leopard Macs
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...00160-opera-10-52-released-2.html#post1044535

I found that it worked fine from an Administrator account, but not with a regular user account (which is what I always use.) I never found a resolution beyond that, and I still see the problem with Opera 10.5.3 to this day. Luckily, I don't generally use Opera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
When I go to "about this mac" it says Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 and I bought it on January 2010. I run a system software update and it says that is up to date. And yes, that is the link that I'm downloading the Opera.
You are running leopard, to get snow leopard you must purchase the install disk, it will not update the OS through the Software Update app.

Just FYI.

OP
V
Reaction score
You are running leopard, to get snow leopard you must purchase the install disk, it will not update the OS through the Software Update app.

Just FYI.

Wow, I thought that when I bought the Macbook Pro on January 2010 it will come with the newest software that it would be snow leopard. Well, thanks for the help.

OP
V
Reaction score
I had much the same experience running Opera on my Leopard and Snow Leopard Macs
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...00160-opera-10-52-released-2.html#post1044535

I found that it worked fine from an Administrator account, but not with a regular user account (which is what I always use.) I never found a resolution beyond that, and I still see the problem with Opera 10.5.3 to this day. Luckily, I don't generally use Opera.

I just have one account on my mac, that is the administrator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Wow, I thought that when I bought the Macbook Pro on January 2010 it will come with the newest software that it would be snow leopard. Well, thanks for the help.
It depends where you bought it from, did you buy it new? From a non-official authorized apple seller?

OP
V
Reaction score
It depends where you bought it from, did you buy it new? From a non-official authorized apple seller?

Yeah I bought it Brand New from Best Buy. I just checked the manual that comes in the package and it says: Mac OS X Leopard. Sorry for the badly understood.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.