• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Steve Ballmer poo poo's the ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ballmer's iPad Diss: 'It's Just Another PC'
A few articles about this here:

Ballmer Bites Back, Disses the iPad - PCWorld Business Center
Steve Ballmer's iPad point: Not affordable for all | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
Ballmer's iPad Diss: 'It's Just Another PC' -- InformationWeek
Remains of the Day: Ballmer keeps on trucking | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

And my point is:
Is a product not affordable if it is flying off the shelves for full price faster then it can be made? No.
Sure he says the ipad can't do everything a PC can. But would people be bying the ipad in droves if it did not do what they want/need? No.

What Steve Ballmer says is true to a point. But a product that makes your company millions of dollars without doing any thing illegeal or immoral just has to be a good thing. I think Ballmer is just jealous Apple has all the cards now and he (Ballmer) has none.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think Ballmer has already proven on countless occasions that he doesn't exactly have a solid grasp on reality. So this is no surprise really.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably time for Ballmer to retire. All we've heard from him in the last few years has been "sour grapes" remarks. MS may still be king of the hill with regard to the number of machines world wide that use Windows, but they certainly have not done anything innovative lately.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It continues to amaze me how Ballmer continues to be the CEO of Microsoft when he demonstrates time and time again his sheer ignorance and inability to understand the market. It's just utterly baffling.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are saying Ray Ozzie will take over when Balmer retires. Ozzie loves Google, the iPad and Cloud Computing. He said it right on the same stage with Balmer after Balmer kept ranting about how bad the iPad is.

Ozzie seems very level headed compared to Balmer anyway.

I have always felt if Balmer had his way we would all still be using Windows 98 or even worse, ME!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
They are saying Ray Ozzie will take over when Balmer retires. Ozzie loves Google, the iPad and Cloud Computing. He said it right on the same stage with Balmer after Balmer kept ranting about how bad the iPad is.

Ozzie seems very level headed compared to Balmer anyway.

I have always felt if Balmer had his way we would all still be using Windows 98!

I really wish he would retire, or just get fired outright. I'd really like to see someone level-headed take over and get things straight. Personally, I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before they ditch the current implementation of Windows and go to a *nix-based OS like Apple has. If they can do that right, I'd actually consider switching back.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ballmer is the consummate used car salesman, it's why he's cast so well in a commercial like this one. He really doesn't strike me as much of a technologist, but more like the dim-witted execs that run a lot of companies. They can't see the forest for the trees and try to apply their MBA knowledge to any situation, even if it doesn't apply. I think the best explanation for Ballmer is one that I've read on MDN - the recipient of the luckiest dorm room assignment ever. I give him kudos for his gusto, but as a technology company CEO, he's definitely lacking -- to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It was time for Ballmer to retire as soon as he took over! Look at MSFT's stock since BG retired as CEO, it's been doing nothing but going down! I don't think they have much room to talk about ANYTHING imho!

I know this is a bit off topic, but I find it hysterically funny when someone who likes msft, still doesn't know that bill gates retired from his ceo position 10 years ago!. That's my cue to stop wasting my time:)

Those comments on the articles are amusing…to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ballmer retire?

No no no leave him there and let the entertainment continue please!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Ballmer retire?

No no no leave him there and let the entertainment continue please!!

Oh, well, of course! This is a mac forum after all:) But his history sure shows how little anything he says really means! Someone who a brought success to a company surely is more credible than someone who has brought nothing but crap(or something similar)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.