iTunes video format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm trying to import some video files into iTunes on a Windows machine for my sister's iPod touch 3G, but iTunes won't accept them, and won't give me any errors either. It just basically does nothing. It's the updated version of iTunes, and the files are AVIs. Do they need to be in MP4 for it to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm trying to import some video files into iTunes on a Windows machine for my sister's iPod touch 3G, but iTunes won't accept them, and won't give me any errors either. It just basically does nothing. It's the updated version of iTunes, and the files are AVIs. Do they need to be in MP4 for it to work?

Yes, unfortunately iTunes is very narrow in the types of videos that it will support. You can convert them with various transcoding tools out there. Handbrake is free and widely recommended. It even has presets with optimal settings for iPods.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Yes, unfortunately iTunes is very narrow in the types of videos that it will support. You can convert them with various transcoding tools out there. Handbrake is free and widely recommended. It even has presets with optimal settings for iPods.

Eh, I do have video converting software called Xilisoft which actually has ipod touch formats. Would that be fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Eh, I do have video converting software called Xilisoft which actually has ipod touch formats. Would that be fine?

I've never heard of it. If it says it has presets for the iPod Touch and you like the software otherwise, then have at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.