The Beauty Of The ibook

S

shahid

Hi Folks

Just thought i'd share my experience of the functionality an Apple ibook provides, (based on my recent purchase of the G4 12" 1.2Ghz ibook 512mb ram & bluetooth) I've just tested it with a number of external devices & Wow! it works like a charm.

I love how the G4 ibook is able to take advantage of my external 17" Monitor and USB Keyboard and also my wireless mouse! when at home. Yet at the same time when out & about it becomes the perfect traveling companion.

With a greater screen real estate, (using my 17" external Monitor) and the ease of use & functionality the external USB keyboard provides, along with a wireless mouse, I'm not going to bother buying a Mac mini or other Apple home based system for the moment.

If anyone is thinking about buying a nice portable laptop and is undecided between the G4 ibook or a Mac mini (providing your needs are minimal) then my suggestion would be to go with the 12" G4 ibook model and use an external monitor, keyboard & mouse when at home.

This option would obviously allow you the mobility the ibook offers you whilst out & about, as well as a machine thats able to double as a home based system, with external keyboard, monitor & mouse.

If your needs are fairly minimal i.e. you don't need a G5 Tower to edit videos or do other processor/memory intensive work, then the G4 1.2Ghz 12" ibook is a great option.

Just my tuppence worth :headphone

Shahid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I fully agree with you Shahid! iBooks are great and far more powerfull than i expected. I was a bit afraid when i bought it but there is allways something that proves me i made the right choice.

OP
S

shahid

Thanks for your replies folks.
I love the G4 ibook, having played around with various linux OS's, i've only really recently converted to the Mac OS X. And Tiger Rocks Bigtime!

Everything works so smoothly, personally all i use is word processing, email, chat, and some browsing & maybe skype now & then to chat with friends.
It all works perfectly.

I'm going to be sticking around now that i've 'switched', Had been thinking about buying an ibook for about 3-4 years (after numerous trips to PC World when my old windows xp system kept crashing) I fell in love with the lovely white ibook.
Owning one was just a dream back then, mainly due to lack of funds.

Glad i finally bought one now, should have done it sooner, but oh well i guess the countless windows crashes, reinstalls, lags, etc etc were all part of the process of getting me here.

Great forum by the way! Very helpful, friendly & extemely educational.

Shahid

OP
T

Tel

I have to agree about the whiteness of the iBook, a lot of people state that the powerbook looks a lot nicer but I personally prefer the look of the iBook (no, not just because I own one) I think that being all white just makes it stand out as something really different. Pretty much every PC laptop is black, dark grey, silver or another similar colour, I like the fact that the iBook is completely different to the rest because hey! thats what Apple is all about.

I've also heard a lot of people complain that it gets dirty easy but I have yet to experience this too.

Other than that and the nice price tag, the powerbook is definatly better than the iBook.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The white does stand out more, since other manufacturers are making gray laptops.

OP
E

Ey3 D

Well you go to a library or internet cafe and you see these dull PC laptops that are all bland and boring and the people seem to be having a hard time. Then I lift the almighty iBook out of it's bag and TADA: big head turner.
Plus I never thought Doom 3 would run on 1.2 GHz (the minimum requirements for it is 1.5, but I forgot to read that part! :p ).

OP
C

ciaran.mooney

rman said:
The white does stand out more, since other manufacturers are making gray laptops.

White stands out! Try having a bloody huge orange G3! :headphone

OP
B

BrianH

i get "oooohs and ahhhs" when they see apple logo light up on my powerbook. They cant get over that it lights up when i turn it on, and goes off when i close it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
I get the 'ooooohs' and 'aaahhh' when I use F9, F10, F11 (Exposé).

Recently, I told my gf she is as pretty as my iBook. Needless to say, she wasnt impressed with my temporary blip of nerdiness, hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
JackTheRipper said:
Recently, I told my gf she is as pretty as my iBook. Needless to say, she wasnt impressed with my temporary blip of nerdiness, hehe

Yeah, I gotta say verbalizing that thought was a doomed decision from the get go... LOL

OP
T

Tel

The slot loading CD drive, the glowing apple logo, the pulsing light on the front (when on standby) and expose get a LOT of ooohs and ahhhhs from all the windows users I know. Its funny, they all seem so against Macs but I don't see them crowding around anyone elses notebook :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I personally do not like the white color of the ibooks.... I don't really know why.

OP
D

Dexter1912

it does look the bullocks! although one time memorably when i was uisng it in the school library i over heard sum kids saying it was from at least 1992 cause it was white fools!!

OP
A

Alicia4065

I like my white Ibook, I brought this on when I could have brought the PB instead but did not know if I would like working on a mac. Now I'm hook and looking for a desktop once apple change over to intel. Till then I will enjoy my new toy/baby.

Alicia:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac g5 1.8ghz 1 gb ram iBook G4 1.2ghz 768 mb ram
the only problem with the white......i have small grease stains from the palms of my hands, but they are barely visible. i swear im a clean person tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.