Is it time to change?

Reaction score
:D
I have an iBook G4 some 4 years old.
1. The inbuilt CD, DVD player will not allow loading of Disks.
I cover this by using external player, writer.
2. The internal clock keeps resetting to Jan 1st 2001, if switched off.
I cover this by just closing the book and the machine goes to sleep mode.

Is it time for me to look to update or should i stick with the love of my life?
O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Depends on your expectations - if 5+ year old technology does all you need, then no. $$$ generally factor into the decisions as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You really didn't mention anything that you want to do & can't do...so I would say keep on using this iBook.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
It depends, if it does what you expect from a 4 year old machine, then "No" don't worry just keep it for a while. If you want to run more power hungry programs, which require a better processor and more RAM, then "yes" it is time for you to say good bye. BTW, the new macbook pro can become the love of your life trust me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the Time/Date reset. Normally that is a PRAM battery but if you search around you will find that the iBook G4 uses a capacitor and the main battery to keep the PRAM info saved. Is your battery dead? Does it not hold a charge?

Reaction score
The iBook is particularly non-maintenance-friendly. If you have to replace the drive & the internal battery, be prepared for some difficult procedures ahead. Unlike Intel based machines, this must really be a labor of love for you to get it back into shape. It's a machine with several layers of confusion(literally).

I am a bit hasty in suggesting tossing iBooks due to the combination of their age, how slow they run, the likelihood of other failures occuring after you fix the present problems, and my personal opinion that they feel significantly more sluggish running OSX compared to more modern machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As mentioned by others, the choice to upgrade depends on whether your current computer doesn't do what you ask of it to your satisfaction. You won't be able to run new software that well or at all if they require Intel chips but if that is not a concern for you then you might be okay with what you got.

I use my computer for work and for entertainment and have noticed that the older computers I have can't do what I ask of them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess no one read my post. There is NO PRAM battery in any iBook and the iBook G4. It uses a small capacitor to keep it for a few seconds while you swap the main battery.

Portable Computers: Models Which Do Not Have a Backup Battery

Straight from Apple.

Is your Main battery dead? Does it hold a charge? If not you will loose all PRAM settings when you power down and no AC Adapter plugged in.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, just wanted the OP to know so he would not rip the iBook apart looking for something that just is not there! :D

OP
V
Reaction score
Battery

:Blushing:
Changed the battery about 8-10 months ago and indicates 3+ hours when in use and does not decay at anything but "standard" rate, if one.
The CD/DVD drive problem has been overcome with external one.
I use the iBook when holidaying or away for weekend, using for presentations (only about 4 per year), the music at Masonic Lodge when no Organist (only 8 times a year oh and as my comfort internet access on 3rd Thursday of month when doing the books in the Masonic Lodge office.
The Date is under investigation/diagnostic testing as today i'll tune from sleep to off (when in sleep mode i've not seen the message) but not move of home/office desk.
More feed back Wednesday.
Thanks to everyone for suggestions and assistance.
Regards,
S&F
alan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.