Point of iPad???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Okay, so before I begin my thread (for real) I want to say 2 things.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't think it would fit in anywhere else.
2. I apologize if there are millions of other threads like this, but I searched w/ no success.
------------------
I'm just wondering...what is the point of an iPad? I'm honestly surprised that people are buying them so quickly. It's capabilities are extremely limited, especially since it doesn't multitask. The IT guy @ my school has one and says it's no replacement for a laptop. What need is there for a category of devices in between a laptop and a smart phone? Why would I go browsing the web on an iPad (in which I am restricted to using Safari, other than Firefox or another browser that I may like) rather than my Macbook which can multitask and is capable of so much more? The only situation i can see this usable for is if you are on vacation and want a computer with very limited capabilities to do light stuff (email, minor web browsing, etc.) But (despite Steve Jobs' arguments) I consider my Netbook w/ Windows, and soon Linux, a much better choice as it is just as light as an iPad but does so much more. Plus, I can't image having to type on a virtual keyboard. it doesn't sound appealing to me. Does this make sense to anyone or am I just completely missing something that makes this device worth having?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree with you on most of the points that you brought up. Sometimes I get lazy and don't want to walk over to my iMac or open up my MB especially when I'm in bed. That's really the only time I will use my iPhone or iPod Touch to surf the web. I don't find the virtual keyboard all that bad...and I'm actually surprised how fast I can type with just one finger. >_>"

It's also the only time I use safari too. >_<"

You are right that the iPad is not really a substitute for a notebook and it does have limitations. Sometimes you don't really need to bring your Notebook with you on a business trip where you just want to watch some movies, do some reading, light web browsing, and looking over some notes.

I wouldn't use it to make a PowerPoint Presentation, even though you probably could. <_<" I'm just not expecting it to be of high quality.

I have considered using it as a presentation tool for doing sales pitches on my designs for free lance work, and portfolio. It seems to leave a lasting impression on potential clients and people in general. It's a pretty big investment just for that one aspect of it though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also agree with some of your points, but go listen to everything Steve Jobs says at the D9 conference. Cloud Computing. He predicts in 7 years Macs will very much decrease in sales and the iPad and it's predecessors will grow.

In another speech, Steve Balmer of Microsoft runs down the iPad and Jobs comments, BUT Ray Ozzie Microsofts probably successor to Balmer agreed and is totally for the PC dying and Cloud computing devices taking over. Jobs was quoted as saying the Death of the PC.

I have many uses where an iPad would be better for ME than any Netbook, but I need a real computer though for most of what I do.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I need a Cintiq for what I do, and I don't see Apple making one any time soon. >_>"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I need a Cintiq for what I do, and I don't see Apple making one any time soon. >_>"

But CR, with the iPad you just draw with your finger on the screen! :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But CR, with the iPad you just draw with your finger on the screen! :D

That might work for finger painting but not for professional work. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You can only use Safari? Really? You can't use Opera for iPhone OS? Pretty sure you can use opera. :p Plus if you don't see a need to buy one, don't.

By the way? The cat was already let out of the bag. Multitasking works in iphone OS 4. Due for release for the iPad this fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The point of the iPad is to make Apple a bundle of money, and to make people realise that they didn't know they needed it until they got one.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't it their job to market things to you even if you don't need it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why would I go browsing the web on an iPad (in which I am restricted to using Safari, other than Firefox or another browser that I may like) rather than my Macbook which can multitask and is capable of so much more? The only situation i can see this usable for is if you are on vacation and want a computer with very limited capabilities to do light stuff (email, minor web browsing, etc.)

You're single, aren't you? Apple is going after a different market. Not everyone is you! ;) I want one as a second web browser when my better half is using the Mini. I don't need the full capabilities of a more expensive MacBook. I haven't bought an iPad yet, as I'm not sure it can handle my web based e-mail. (site's problem) I tried it at
The Store, and it didn't play nice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum.

Just as a side note, there are currently 5 browsers besides Safari specifically for the iPad and 10 for the iPhone which can be used. There are probably more on the way.

I happen to really enjoy my iPad. Yeah, I guess you could call me a fan of it. Fanboy though?... don't think so. Don't see me going on and on trying to convince other folks that they need one. Or posting about all the benefits of it. I own a lot of stuff. Betcha I own a whole ton of stuff that just not a whole lot of people need. The iPad is one of those.

Just exactly what is it that drives folks that don't want / don't have a need for any specific item to feel the need to go on and on about why they don't need one or what they want it to do that it doesn't? Please fill me in... I'd really like to know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, what are some of the other browsers names for the iPhone besides Safari and Opera? Just curious as I am sure you know how much I LOVE to try out new applications. I am like Van Smith in that way! :D

I really detest the idea of any Cloud apps but I will say that Opera on my iPhone 3g flies. It's VERY fast. It's sending the request to a cloud and then back to the iPhone, but It brings up the page much faster than Safari on the iPhone that I find myself using Opera when I am in a hurry.

The funny thing is, the iPad I used the other night at Best Buy using Safari seemed just as fast or faster with Safari as Opera is on my phone. It was very snappy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safari really is a pretty good browser on the iPad. It's every bit as fast as using Safari or Opera on my MBP. Don't really use FF except on my Win7 HTPC for hulu, Netflix, etc...

For the iPad you have:
Atomic Web Browser - this is quite a good alternative and the only one other one I use much since Safari and this one do pretty much everything I want while using it. Also:
A1 Perfect
iCab Mobile
IM+
CloudBrowse will let you use flash - they stream the sites from their servers - a little slow, but probably good enough for my wife to play Farmville on it.

iPhone same as above, checking the app store on my iPad and found over 15 pages of browsers at 12 per page - take your pick - some specialized, but they include:
Opera
Oceanus
Full Screen Browser
Mercury
Bolt
Perfect Browser
Full Browser

Reaction score
You are looking at it all wrong. I was going to buy the Kindle, then the iPad came out and it does so much more than the kindle. It is great for web surfing, email and of course videos and reading. Love mine so much, we went out and bought a second one, his and hers. Don't knock it until you actually try one out at length.
Okay, so before I begin my thread (for real) I want to say 2 things.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't think it would fit in anywhere else.
2. I apologize if there are millions of other threads like this, but I searched w/ no success.
------------------
I'm just wondering...what is the point of an iPad? I'm honestly surprised that people are buying them so quickly. It's capabilities are extremely limited, especially since it doesn't multitask. The IT guy @ my school has one and says it's no replacement for a laptop. What need is there for a category of devices in between a laptop and a smart phone? Why would I go browsing the web on an iPad (in which I am restricted to using Safari, other than Firefox or another browser that I may like) rather than my Macbook which can multitask and is capable of so much more? The only situation i can see this usable for is if you are on vacation and want a computer with very limited capabilities to do light stuff (email, minor web browsing, etc.) But (despite Steve Jobs' arguments) I consider my Netbook w/ Windows, and soon Linux, a much better choice as it is just as light as an iPad but does so much more. Plus, I can't image having to type on a virtual keyboard. it doesn't sound appealing to me. Does this make sense to anyone or am I just completely missing something that makes this device worth having?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To the original poster here:

The ipad is not for you. We all understand that. So don't buy an ipad.
But there is a lot of people who think the ipad is just the thing for them. The pad sales prove this. And that's the beauty of choice. You can get an ipad or a notebook. Whatever suits your needs the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why would I go browsing the web on an iPad (in which I am restricted to using Safari, other than Firefox or another browser that I may like) rather than my Macbook which can multitask and is capable of so much more?

Who ever said that safari is the only browser you can use? Ever heard of A1 Perfect Web Browser? It's arguably the BEST browser out!

"especially since it doesn't multitask."
I HATE it when people say that! I bought my ipad knowing that the next os update was going to add great multitasking abilities. I know I can't be the only one who doesn't care about it, especially since Apple themselves mentioned it.

You know, I noticed that when someone who knows nothing about a product, talks about it, they only point out the negatives that they have heard(because they clearly have not experienced it enough, or they wouldn't need to talk about it). They do this even if the positives outweigh the negatives 10 to 1! They hear someone saying something bad, they add their own mixed interpretation into it to make a skewed negative that is far from the truth.
…just saying...

I happen to really enjoy my iPad.

Just exactly what is it that drives folks that don't want / don't have a need for any specific item to feel the need to go on and on about why they don't need one or what they want it to do that it doesn't? Please fill me in... I'd really like to know.

+1

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not trying to be "Dr. Phil" here... ;D but I think a lot of folks tend to put something down when they can't have it for some reason.

"I would never buy a Corvette, it's a real gas hog and the insurance for it is sky high".

(What they're really saying - "I would love to have one but I really can't afford it.")

Sour Grapes? :p

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not trying to be "Dr. Phil" here... ;D but I think a lot of folks tend to put something down when they can't have it for some reason.

"I would never buy a Corvette, it's a real gas hog and the insurance for it is sky high".

(What they're really saying - "I would love to have one but I really can't afford it.")

Sour Grapes? :p

Regards.

That really makes a lot of sense. Both what you said and add Jealousy to the mix with some of my friends also. :D

Just a quick note on your Vette comment, my only issue with a Vette is I have never liked the fiberglass body. You get hit it costs a fortune to fix. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.