Improve your 802.11n speeds using WPA2 vs. WPA/WEP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the article. The problem we have around here using Verizon FIOS is that Verizon supplies a specialized router that not only serves WiFi to the computer, but it also acts as a WiFi broadcaster for FIOS TV service. Without that WiFi signal to the cable box, you lose video on demand and the entire on screen schedule lineup. Their routers will only allow WEP or WPA. By default WEP is turned on using a hex alpha numeric array. They even supply a sticker on the bottom of the router giving that array.

Lousy setup but FIOS is great for speed and bandwidth. Kind of a trade off.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the article. The problem we have around here using Verizon FIOS is that Verizon supplies a specialized router that not only serves WiFi to the computer, but it also acts as a WiFi broadcaster for FIOS TV service. Without that WiFi signal to the cable box, you lose video on demand and the entire on screen schedule lineup. Their routers will only allow WEP or WPA. By default WEP is turned on using a hex alpha numeric array. They even supply a sticker on the bottom of the router giving that array.

Lousy setup but FIOS is great for speed and bandwidth. Kind of a trade off.

That sucks. I can say that this tip seems to have worked out for me. I was having a lot of choppy streaming of some videos from one computer to Plex on my Mac mini HTPC beforehand. Afterwards, smooth as silk. Amazing, but I'll take it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.