Headphones advice

Reaction score
So the generic apple headphones that i got with my 3gs lasted me about 6-7 months, which i was actually fairly impressed with, but now I am on the hunt for a new pair.

I have searched high and low and am really struggling. (before people mention it, i have already searched this forum and macrumors and that did not help)

What i am looking for:
- On ear/over ear/around ear style headphones.
- iPod controls and microphone.
- Budget of £100, I will pay not a penny more.

While the sound that the apple headphones generate is'nt great, they do represent great value, etc because of the mic + iPod controls which is why i haven't bothered to look for different headphones until they broke.

Sound quality is important to me, but not o the detriment of style.

So to sum up, can anyone recommend some on ear headphones with in-line iPod controls and mic that sound and look good costing under £100.

Thanks very much.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is what I ended up getting to replace my headphones after two of them died on me. This was before the iPod headphone replacement program. <_<"

I bought these in January of last year...for 99.99 USD. They are amazing but not sure which ipods they will work with. They work on my iPhone and iPod Touch 2nd gen. I don't think they work for the first gen iPod Touch.

OP
B
Reaction score
committee borders

This is what I ended up getting to replace my headphones after two of them died on me. This was before the iPod headphone replacement program. <_<"

I bought these in January of last year...for 99.99 USD. They are amazing but not sure which ipods they will work with. They work on my iPhone and iPod Touch 2nd gen. I don't think they work for the first gen iPod Touch.

Well, aside from the fact that they are in-ear earphones, they are exactly what i am looking for.
Does anybody know of a good set of ON-EAR headphones with ipod control and microphone?
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
So the generic apple headphones that i got with my 3gs lasted me about 6-7 months, which i was actually fairly impressed with, but now I am on the hunt for a new pair.

I have searched high and low and am really struggling. (before people mention it, i have already searched this forum and macrumors and that did not help)

What i am looking for:
- On ear/over ear/around ear style headphones.
- iPod controls and microphone.
- Budget of £100, I will pay not a penny more.

While the sound that the apple headphones generate is'nt great, they do represent great value, etc because of the mic + iPod controls which is why i haven't bothered to look for different headphones until they broke.

Sound quality is important to me, but not o the detriment of style.

So to sum up, can anyone recommend some on ear headphones with in-line iPod controls and mic that sound and look good costing under £100.

Thanks very much.

Beats by Dre.... best headphones I have ever used besides BOSE (Oops Didnt read MIC part **** sorry...) Still great lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've done a bit more digging to find alternatives. Unfortunately, there are very very few that offer a mic and iPod controls in the styles you want. I'm in your camp... I really don't like in-ear earbuds either. Here's one more I was able to dig up:
Maximo Products / Headsets / iP-HS1

If using an adapter will work for you, I personally really like this Sennheiser set when exercising:
Sennheiser PMX80SPORT ECO Rugged Stereo Neckband: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Since that's well under your budget, you could step it up to something better if you want extra fidelity. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser. Their HD line of headphones that completely cover the ears are among the best sounding headphones of any brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.