Backing Up Install Disk

E

Engage

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a back up copy of an install disk. I want to make a new DVD that will work just like the original installer.

I have a feeling it involves making a disk image, and I think I know how to do that with Disk Utility. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Thanks for any advice you can share, appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well assume this is a copy of your original install disc you are talking about for everyday use, and if a recent operating system, is your burner a Dual Layer, which is what you will require and also DVD+R DL media?

You will be able to make a copy using Disk Utility but the easiest way is with Toast Titanium.

OP
E

Engage

Well assume this is a copy of your original install disc you are talking about for everyday use,

Yes, I just need one backup copy, and it is my legal installer.

and if a recent operating system,

OSX 10.4.11 G5 PowerPC iMac

is your burner a Dual Layer,

No idea, how should I determine this?

and also DVD+R DL media?

Don't know what this means either. Apologies, first time at this...

You will be able to make a copy using Disk Utility but the easiest way is with Toast Titanium.

Don't have Toast, and won't be doing this often, so I guess it's Disk Utility.

I made a disk image using Disk Utility, but I'm not sure if I did it the right way.

Thanks for your patience and assistance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to About this Mac > More Info > Disc Burning and see what is shown there. If all is well, pop in your Tiger disc, drag the icon to the left hand column of Disk Utility, pop in a blank disc and hit Burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
To determine which media is supported on your Mac, use System Profiler (which will be in either your Applications or Utilities folder). Click the ATA or SATA entry to the left to find the brand of optical drive you have installed in the Mac, and check Media Type. [For example, on this old G3 iMac, all I have available is CD-RW.]

The -R and +R indicators are telling you which density of media is on the blank dvd. DL = Dual Layer. DL disks will take up to 8 Gb, single layer 4.7 Gb.

In addition to Disk Utility, there's a free disk burning application called .... Burn! You'll find it here Download Burn for Mac - Easily burn data, audio, video disks and more. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads.

Another - and legal - way to back up your Tiger Installation disk is simply to copy the disk to another disk. To do that though you'll need a second disk burner. Always handy to have an external firewire optical drive anyway.

One last thing - pleeeeeease put your Mac and OS specs in your profile. That way we can help you better.

OP
E

Engage

Thanks guys!

I think I've got it. I only have one disk drive, but it does burn DVDs.

So I made a disk image, and burned that.

I haven't tested it with a real install yet, try that tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.