• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Such a deal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Got an E-Mail at work announcing a M$ Home Users Program deal for the employees where I work. Downaload Office (PC or Mac) for $9.95, backup DVD, $12.00 plus tax (depending on where you live).

I just got the full retail version of M$ Office Professional 2010 AND MacOffice: 2008 for $47.50. Both come as a download AND with a mailed "backup" DVD direct from M$.

Heck of a way to increase market share by M$.

Such a deal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That is a deal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife was able to get Office 2008 for Macintosh for $20 bucks from where she works (plain brown wrapper, install CD/DVD). Definitely a decent deal...so I upgraded from Office 2004.:)

-Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A while back, MS was offering Office Ultimate to students for $50. I thought that was a good deal! As a student though, I'm entitled to access Microsoft's DreamSpark program. While it's all Windows stuff, it's nice knowing I can get it for free.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Same here, although the downloadable version is new. Do bear in mind that the license rides on your employer's license and if you terminate employment, you're supposed to remove the software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our purchasing program allows buying the MS Office 2011 Standard version full install (DVD included) for $79.00. (Three installs.) As far as I know the license remains with us. I wish they would do the same for the Mac version but so far it's only for Windows.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
A while back, MS was offering Office Ultimate to students for $50. I thought that was a good deal! As a student though, I'm entitled to access Microsoft's DreamSpark program. While it's all Windows stuff, it's nice knowing I can get it for free.
Ditto, dreamspark is wonderful.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just an update. Bought Office 2011 for the Mac for $9.95. Downloading now. Something new, 1 License = 2 installs. SWEET!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just an update. Bought Office 2011 for the Mac for $9.95. Downloading now. Something new, 1 License = 2 installs. SWEET!

Yep - that's how I got mine back in January - tough to beat that deal. I'm still waiting for us to fully switch to Win 7 (they keep delaying the switchover) so I can get an at home copy of that as well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep - that's how I got mine back in January - tough to beat that deal. I'm still waiting for us to fully switch to Win 7 (they keep delaying the switchover) so I can get an at home copy of that as well.

Don't hold your breath on that one. Since Vista, M$ now requires an Activation server on corporate networks. So, the volume license version still needs activation, unlike XP. Machines check into that Activation server periodically, and if it doesn't check in, the copy deactivates.

For machines that travel and will never check in, you have to call into Microsoft and get a special activation key, specific to each machine.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Activation

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Don't hold your breath on that one. Since Vista, M$ now requires an Activation server on corporate networks. So, the volume license version still needs activation, unlike XP. Machines check into that Activation server periodically, and if it doesn't check in, the copy deactivates.

For machines that travel and will never check in, you have to call into Microsoft and get a special activation key, specific to each machine.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Activation

So you don't think MS will do a Win 7 home use program like they've done for Office? That might explain something I observed. Last year - I could follow a link to the MS home use SW (basically we logon to an MS site from the Corporate domain and then they send us a code and link - and you access and download from home) - there was a Win 7 package listed - but it had no pricing and was still greyed out. At the time I just assumed it was because we're still on XP - and that it would change once we went to Win 7 which we're overdue for here.

When I checked back in January to get Office - I didn't see that option anymore.

I guess I'll just continue to wait and see. Hopefully we'll switch soon - but I was hoping to not have to shell out $200 for an OS that I will only be using for a couple of specific things (and no, gaming isn't one of them.) :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think HUP might vary a bit from company to company - mine has never offered Windows, but we do get the same deal on Office.

Now, this varies a bit from EPP, where you can get a "special discount" on just about anything made by M$ - but then again, the prices for M$ products through EPP have always been ridiculous. You could do better going retail.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think HUP might vary a bit from company to company - mine has never offered Windows, but we do get the same deal on Office.

Now, this varies a bit from EPP, where you can get a "special discount" on just about anything made by M$ - but then again, the prices for M$ products through EPP have always been ridiculous. You could do better going retail.

I hadn't seen Windows offered previously either - so I was pleasantly surprised and got a little hopeful after seeing Win 7. I just rationalized it that perhaps the idea was to speed the learning curve but maybe that was wishful thinking. But - like I said - it seems to have vanished - and we're still on XP while the rest of the world has moved to Win 7 some time ago (I assume at least). Most of the smaller companies I interface with are all running Win 7.

I haven't looked since January - but I don't remember seeing Win 7 for anything under $200 although I just looked on NewEgg and the prices are a little less than that. I'm in no hurry for it - but sometime in the next few months will probably need to install it for some tools for which I can only find Windows versions.

I actually don't know if we get EPP on other MS items - but we do get EPP for Apple :) Of course, dummy that I am, I forgot about it for every Apple purchase but one - and even that was negated when I made the exchange for the newer MBP. Oh well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.