Is MobileMe worth it?

Reaction score
I'm considering this service but I want to know if its a good value. I have an iMac, an iPhone, and an iPad and would like some sort of sync feature, not to mention push email.

Is it worth the money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
I'm considering this service but I want to know if its a good value. I have an iMac, an iPhone, and an iPad and would like some sort of sync feature, not to mention push email.

Is it worth the money?

I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion that it was not. That is to say, it was not worth it for my personal needs. Yours may differ.

Anyway, what I found out is that Google also offers the ability to sync calendars, mail and contacts, so I am currently a satisfied user of that free solution. I agree, it is not as seemless as apple's own service, but for my budget, this was the better choice.

So my suggestion: look into google's solutions, if they do not work for you, then yes I'd say MobileMe could be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The best way to look at it will it meet most of your needs for the cost for me it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've been a MobileMe customer for some years now. IMO it's worth. The ability to Sync Contacts, Calenders and E-Mail over the air with no effort is really quite nice. Having the on-line storage you get with is good too, I use it on occasion.

As mentioned above Google has a similar service but it's not as well integrated as Apples service, and $99/year isn't that much in the long run ($8.25/month). The integration with iCal and Adress book on all my devices and computers is a plus for me since I travel a lot and I can change my calenders and modify/add contacts from my iPhone or iBook while on the road and it all just comes together.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And you can sign up for 2 months free trial I think - then go check out Amazon to purchase it - you can normally get the single user package for about $70-$80 and I've seen the family pack on sale as low as $100 on occasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
M-Me has completely gotten me clean of usb memory sticks! You can store any kind of file you want and create a file system for easy storage. I think it's totally worth it considering it tracks/locks both my iphone/ipad to a very exact point. You can get it with 2 extra months free(total of 14 months), and if you buy it with an iphone/ipad/mac you can get it for only $69!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I've been using MobileMe since I bought the iPhone 3G nearly two years ago. I think the service certainly has value, particularly if you own a multiple Apple products. Currently, I have four devices synced up to MobileMe: a MacBook, a Mac mini, an iPhone, and an iPad. The ability to add a contact, calendar event, or Safari bookmark to one device and then have it pushed to all of the other devices automatically is incredibly convenient. I know everything will be up to date, and I just don't have to worry about it.

Just to give you an idea, here is what the service has to offer:

• Automatic syncing as mentioned above (which works on PCs too)
  • 20GB of online storage
  • Push ad-free e-mail to the Mac, iPhone, and iPad
  • An online gallery to share photos with friends and family
  • iDisk, which allows you to store files online and share with others
  • Find my iPhone/iPad in the unfortunate event of leaving it in a bar
  • A suite of fully interactive web apps for all of these features above
  • Back to My Mac, which allows you to access a Mac's hard drive at home when you are away

Many will say that you can do all of these things on other services for free, but I have found them to be second-rate compared to MobileMe. Additionally, the service is pretty well integrated into all of Apple's products, so they work remarkably well.

I suggest doing the free trial and deciding for yourself. You may like it. You may not. There's really only one way to know for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My vote - MobileMe is great. Not perfect but very handy - has also allowed me to change ISPs 4 times and no email address change needed. Don't forget the Alias which is a good deal for preventing Spam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
I heard the rumor of it possibly becoming free too, I really hope so, as I too have been holding off even trying the free trial because on wondering if it would become a free again service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest doing the free trial and deciding for yourself. You may like it. You may not. There's really only one way to know for sure.

Thats actually a good idea... I've done so too as we speak. I have, however, already encountered two (SERIOUS) issues with MobileMe:

1) I cannot get MobileMe to pull email from my provider's email account. (I have enabled the "check external POP account" functionality, but it does not fetch automatically, unless I go to me.com and click fetch mail). Any ideas?

2) Is there a way to import my 2k+ mails stored on GMail into Mobile me? I love archiving stuff, so I wouldnt want to lose old emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
  • Automatic syncing as mentioned above (which works on PCs too)
  • 20GB of online storage
  • Push ad-free e-mail to the Mac, iPhone, and iPad
  • An online gallery to share photos with friends and family
  • iDisk, which allows you to store files online and share with others
  • Find my iPhone/iPad in the unfortunate event of leaving it in a bar
  • A suite of fully interactive web apps for all of these features above
  • Back to My Mac, which allows you to access a Mac's hard drive at home when you are away

Many will say that you can do all of these things on other services for free, but I have found them to be second-rate compared to MobileMe. Additionally, the service is pretty well integrated into all of Apple's products, so they work remarkably well.

I wouldn't say second rate. Using Google to sync your calendar and push email works exceptionally well. I couldn't believe how quickly it all worked the first time I set it up. Calendar entries/changes are reflected across all devices near instantaneously. When email is pushed out, all of my devices light up at the same time. The only thing I haven't bothered to work out yet is contacts, but I don't really care much for that feature anyway. I'm sure it works just as well if you actually set it up.

As for online storage, that's what I have my Dropbox for. It's only 2.5GB, but it's free and does the job for me. It also syncs across all your computers and you can access your files either via iPhone/iPad apps or through the website.

MobileMe certainly has a certain appeal, but I personally don't think it's worth $100 per year, especially when the free alternatives work so well. I think it would be worth it for around half the price, preferably less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Thats actually a good idea... I've done so too as we speak. I have, however, already encountered two (SERIOUS) issues with MobileMe:

1) I cannot get MobileMe to pull email from my provider's email account. (I have enabled the "check external POP account" functionality, but it does not fetch automatically, unless I go to me.com and click fetch mail). Any ideas?

Instead of trying to pull the mail from your provider's e-mail account, can you have it forwarded to MobileMe? That's what I'm doing with my old Gmail account and it works well.

2) Is there a way to import my 2k+ mails stored on GMail into Mobile me? I love archiving stuff, so I wouldnt want to lose old emails.

Try this. Download all of your Gmail messages to the Mail app on OS X. Then highlight all the messages in the Gmail Inbox, then right-click on the selected messages and go down to Copy To -> MobileMe Inbox. That should move all the messages over to your MobileMe account and save them on the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead of trying to pull the mail from your provider's e-mail account, can you have it forwarded to MobileMe? That's what I'm doing with my old Gmail account and it works well.

For now, I have not found the option to forward my provider's email messages. The only option I have up to this point, is to use my GMail account to fetch my provider's mail over POP, and then forwarding it to MobileMe, which then pushes it to my devices. There's got to be an easier way...

Try this. Download all of your Gmail messages to the Mail app on OS X. Then highlight all the messages in the Gmail Inbox, then right-click on the selected messages and go down to Copy To -> MobileMe Inbox. That should move all the messages over to your MobileMe account and save them on the server.

I found this out to work as well yeah, but my question: I saw something about a monthly data transfer limit? Is this limit the grand total for my entire use of the service, including mail, iDisk, etc.?
EDIT: Second question: Can i also copy everything in the SENT-mailbox this way? or will that resend all emails I've ever sent to people?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Is it worth the money?

I would hold off for a little bit if you can. Rumor has it that Apple will make it free (or at least have a free version of it).

MacDailyNews

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, what do you think people who are still on the 2 month free trial, who have also bought the 12-month version and put it on their account, like me, once we bought something at the store? I don't know why they even make you activate it, since you are running on the 2 months free, but I will be pretty ticked if they do say that a free, all-be-it a bit lacking over their next higher tiered price, will be available tomorrow, and I can't get a refund, or at least a partial one to keep me in the premium version!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, what do you think people who are still on the 2 month free trial, who have also bought the 12-month version and put it on their account, like me, once we bought something at the store? I don't know why they even make you activate it, since you are running on the 2 months free, but I will be pretty ticked if they do say that a free, all-be-it a bit lacking over their next higher tiered price, will be available tomorrow, and I can't get a refund, or at least a partial one to keep me in the premium version!

Hard to say, it's just a rumor. I'd imagine they'd make it up to you in some way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
gmail works for me. I can sync ical, contacts and mail pretty seamlessly.

Seems apples works pretty well with google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"
Some weeks ago I read something about MobileMe getting updated and becoming partly free. Is this plausible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.