Multiuser (PC now MACPro

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've been a pc user for almost 25 years now. Last week I purchased a new MacPro Notebook (on impulse), and I'm liking it, but I am struggling in finding my ways around the MacPro.. can someone point me in the right direction on ..

1) How to change the network working group? Currently, the default is WORKGROUP. The reason i am asking is because my other pc's are under a different working group and I don't want to change the macpro working group name.

2) I installed MSOffice 2008 mac version and i want to uninstall it. How do you uninstall?

3) How do you use the time capsule?

4) In PC there's a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. How do you create a system restore point in MacPro notebook.

Thanks in advance..and thanks for your patience O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

Welcome to the forums. I can't answer all of your questions but...

So you know - your comp is a Macbook Pro - not a Mac Pro - there's a big difference - the MBP is (as you know ;) ) a laptop using C2D, Ci5 or Ci7 processors, where as the Mac Pro is a workstation class tower using xeon based processors with the multiple expansion slots, ability to support multiple GPU cards, more RAM, etc. :)

For #1 - go to Preferences, Network, Advanced, WINS - fill in the workgroup

For #2 - Check this site: In Mac OS X, how do I uninstall Microsoft Office? - Knowledge Base it has where to find the file to uninstall.

For #3 I can't answer, I don't use a timecapsule, I just use a USB drive for my time machine.

For #4 - AFAIK there is not direct comparison product - from what I understand, OSX doesn't support that sort of a feature at this point (restore points) - but you can create bootable backups of your system using a tool like CCC and just create a new image before you install something risky.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
2) In Mac OS X, how do I uninstall Microsoft Office? - Knowledge Base
3) You should be able to plug the time capsule into the MBP, then in settings enable Time Machine and it should find the time capsule and start using it.
4) Once you have Time machine setup, you will have hourly/daily/weekly backups that you can revert to at any time.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Lol, beat ya on the link Raz0rEdge :p

I honestly only use TM to store my data to recover from disaster rather then using it equivalent to restore points so I never think about it in that light.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
@Nethfel, this pesky thing called work interfered with my quick posting! :p

I use a NAS as my Time Machine storage..but I'm guessing the Time Capsule is probably easier..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Bentotsky, Time Capsule is basically a wireless external hard drive combined with an Airport Extreme base station. Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to use Time Capsule, any external drive will work with the Time Machine application on your Mac. Just so you know. Some people think that only other Apple products will work with Apple software.

Once your drive is detected by your Mac, you'll get a message asking if you want to use it as your Time Machine backup. Just click yes and it will automatically start backing up your system. If there are folders you want to exclude, you'll have the option to choose which of them you DON'T want backed up.

If you ever need to recover a missing file you can open Time Machine and restore just the one file. If you need to restore your entire hard drive, you can do that too. It creates a backup every hour so it's actually much better than having to set a restore point if you ask me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks

My friend let me borrow here Office 2008 for mac and i installed it without registering it, but is telling me that the license reached the maximum user so i tried to uninstall it by dragging the application folder to the trash bin. Was this sufficient solution to take to remove the application? bec. the reading material provided i think that I drag the entire office 2008 folder in the trash bin.

sheesh.. this is so frustrating.. i'm a techy guy but this is frustrating adopting to a new environment.. "Who Move The Cheese!" lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks

My friend let me borrow here Office 2008 for mac and i installed it without registering it, but is telling me that the license reached the maximum user so i tried to uninstall it by dragging the application folder to the trash bin. Was this sufficient solution to take to remove the application? bec. the reading material provided i think that I drag the entire office 2008 folder in the trash bin.

sheesh.. this is so frustrating.. i'm a techy guy but this is frustrating adopting to a new environment.. "Who Move The Cheese!" lol

Just dragging the folder to the trash is not sufficient. These are the instructions from the link provided:
Microsoft Office 2004 and 2008
To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder or the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.

For instructions, read the Read Me file in the Remove Office folder.

When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.

There is an actual "tool" you have to run to fully uninstall MS Office.

Note, it is a violation of the EULA to borrow your friend's software and install it on your machine. They have trial versions on the respective websites for you to do just that. Sharing licenses is not legal and we don't discuss such activity on the forums. Ok? :) Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : News and Community Announcements

You've only been using OSX for a week or two. It'll probably take a good month or more to really get familiar with all the ins-and-outs. But sounds like you have the basics already down. You'll get there.
Don't forget to visit Apple's support page on their website for tips and tutorials for switchers and Mac OSX basics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Just dragging the folder to the trash is not sufficient. These are the instructions from the link provided:
Microsoft Office 2004 and 2008
To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder or the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.

For instructions, read the Read Me file in the Remove Office folder.

When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.

There is an actual "tool" you have to run to fully uninstall MS Office.

Note, it is a violation of the EULA to borrow your friend's software and install it on your machine. They have trial versions on the respective websites for you to do just that. Sharing licenses is not legal and we don't discuss such activity on the forums. Ok? :) Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : News and Community Announcements

You've only been using OSX for a week or two. It'll probably take a good month or more to really get familiar with all the ins-and-outs. But sounds like you have the basics already down. You'll get there.
Don't forget to visit Apple's support page on their website for tips and tutorials for switchers and Mac OSX basics.

Not if it's one of the multi-license copies it isn't.

OP
B
Reaction score
How do i get this info "Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2008) 200GB 7200 RPM, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 256mb GeForce 8600M GT" (got it from your profile)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not if it's one of the multi-license copies it isn't.

Ok, my bad. Sorry for the confusion. ;D

How do i get this info "Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2008) 200GB 7200 RPM, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 256mb GeForce 8600M GT" (got it from your profile)

Click on the  in the upper left, click on About This Mac, and then click on More Info. Tells you all about what is in your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
To get your specs, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the menu bar and choose "About This Mac". The Apple Menu is also where you get software updates and access your System Preferences. The menu bar changes every time you switch apps EXCEPT for this Apple Menu, which is always the same no matter what application you're using.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As usual the MS EULA is about as easy to understand as ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics. :)

The Home and Student version box contains three license keys which means each key can be installed on one desktop and one portable computer. That yields six installs. (non networked)

What's hard to determine is if that means in the same household, same family, same apartment, same dorm room, or what?

Anyway, here's the link to the MVPS org which explains the EULA.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.