GarageBand beginner, problems with recording.

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to MacBook so I'm kind of bad at it.

I'm having a problem with GarageBand.
I connected my acoustic guitar to its amplifier, then, using a USB cable I connected the amplifier to my MacBook. The problem is every time I play, it doesn't show that I'm recording. Then, when I play it, I can't hear anything.

I also tried with the same thing with my electric guitar, and still, the same result.

I tried connecting it to both the headphone side and the mic, too.
Also, I changed the sound settings in the system preferences.

So what could be the problem and how could I fix it?

Thanks a lot,
Hiba :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 2 TB internal, 4 TB external RAID 0 array, dual 23" HD displays
you should invest in either a usb or a firewire audio interface. i would recomend firewire if youre going to be doing live monitoring. i am using an alesis io/26 running channel for channel into a live mixer. i have recorded my full drumset, many people on various line-in instruments as well as acoustic instruments that are mic'd up. you might not need as many inputs, and the less you need the less you'll spend. also, make sure whatever you get has 'phantom power' if you plan on using condenser mics. honestly, if you want your instrument sound like a real instrument that wasnt recorded in a cardboard box, invest in one of these. id be happy to try to answer any more questions you may have.

Reaction score
I connected my acoustic guitar to its amplifier, then, using a USB cable I connected the amplifier to my MacBook.

When you say amplifier, do you mean an Audio Interface? If so, you want to go into the GarageBand Preferences>Audio Midi and select your Audio Interface in the "Input" Drop Down Menu.

If you do not have an interface, there are a lot of great ones out there. I want one of these personally!
Apogee One and GarageBand

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.