Uninstalling Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Core-2-Duo
Hey,

I've been running Windows Vista via Bootcamp for a while now, and have noticed that it dramatically slowed down my MacBook's start up speed. As I've been using it less and less recently I was wondering if there'd be any benefit in uninstalling it, or whether it's best for it to just sit there.

I've no real need of it anymore after downloading CrossOver and there are a couple of Windows PCs in the house should I desperately require Windows.

I'm hoping, potentially naively, that uninstalling will speed my Mac partition back up slightly (If there was any slowing down in the first place, it could just be me being paranoid).

Thanks in advance,
Jack.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Boot Camp partition including Vista can be removed easily. Just open the BC assistant from within Leopard or Snow Leopard, and select "create partition" then select restore. That will remove the BC partition and restore the space back to OS X. You can also read about how to do it from the BC assistant PDF help file.

Regards.

Reaction score
dont mean to hijack...

... but before I uninstall completely and instead of creating a new thread..quick question:

There isnt a way to just delete some of the partition ie. make the windows partition smaller without having to redo the whole bootcamp process?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Core-2-Duo
Thanks, but I am aware of how to uninstall it.

I'm curious as to whether there is any benefit in uninstalling it?

Reaction score
A couple things, because I think there's a little confusion among a couple of the posters. First, chscag is talking about deleting a Boot Camp partition, not "uninstalling BootCamp." Boot Camp itself is part of OSX and can't be "uninstalled." When you delete a BC partition, you are removing the Windows installation on the hard drive and restoring it to a single, OSX partition. Windows, all the Windows programs and their data will be lost unless you backed it all up somewhere.

If all you want to do is make an existing Boot Camp partition smaller (or larger), you can use a program like CampTune: Paragon CampTune for Mac® OS X - Overview This will resize your Boot Camp partition nondestructively (although you should still back everything up first).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.