Lock Music Application During Party?

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm planning to have my mac hooked up to a nice sound system at a party tomorrow night.

I don't want to worry about people poking around my documents/internet/iphoto etc... so I'd like it so it will only let them use Spotify and no other applications.

Is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Set the computer to password on awakening? Then leave it on screensaver?

OP
S
Reaction score
That would work if I left a playlist on but I'd like people to have access to Spotify so they can change the music throughout the night.

By the way, if you're not familiar with Spotify (I'm not sure if it's available in the US), it's just like iTunes but free with ads. So I want people to change music and use the application, but have no access to other information on the computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not aware of anything that will lock down a system to a single app.

Have only heard of bad things happening from leaving access to a computer at a party... from spilling their drink on it to deleting data and on and on...

Nope, no Spotify here yet.

Maybe set up a guest account for use during the party and have the keyboard elevated much higher than where folks will be carrying drinks around... and with no place to set a drink on the same plane.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not aware of anything that will lock down a system to a single app.

Maybe set up a guest account for use during the party and have the keyboard elevated much higher than where folks will be carrying drinks around... and with no place to set a drink on the same plane.

Not that I have used it much but would this be a good situation for an account with Parental Controls enabled?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.