Need help with wireless router settings

Reaction score
Hello fellow MAC users!

I have a Netgear WNR2000 wireless router.

I'm wondering which type of settings, security related or not, would allow my MBP to preform it's best when surfing the world wide web.

Plain WPA-PSK [TKIP], with it set on up to 300, 145, or 45mps is slower than a PC when surfing. Each page will take upwards of 10 seconds to fully load. And since I have a MAC, I have higher standards than that :)

When I switch it to no security settings (open network), Safari loads pages reasonably fast, though still not comparable to one click and you're there which I have seen most MACs do connected to other networks.

I had my buddy who has taken Networking classes configure it for me. He set the security to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] at up to 300mps. We checked all the other mps settings and 300mps ran the fastest. It ran at god speed. It was finally one click and boom, you're there.
But then I took my MBP into town with me thus disconnecting from my network to get coffee. The coffee shop had a secure, locked network. I connected to it by acquiring the password, but it went the same speed as I described earlier (min of 10 secs per page). So I decided to connect to the building's open network and it ran much faster, not god speed, but still faster than a locked network.

I came back home, entered my network's password, and it did not go as fast as it did! I didn't change any of the MBP's settings.

Are locked networks slower? Do I need to change some non-security related settings? Which settings will run fastest with MAC OS X?

I want my god speed back! Someone help!!!! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Secure networks are generally not slower. What I think you're experiencing may be related to the DNS settings you're using. You might want to consider using a free public DNS server such as Google or OpenDNS. Get on the web and look up both and then try their respective DNS settings to see if it makes a difference.

Regards.

Reaction score
you cant get a true bandwidth reading on a public WIFI cause you dont know what other people are doing, downloading etc etc at any given time.

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried GoogleDNS.

It was way fast at first. Then went back to boring speed.

Any other suggestions besides OpenDNS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.