MS Office 2008 - IN FRENCH! HELP

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a used Mac Pro 2008 with Snow leopard 10.6 recently and it had a version of Office 2008 'French' installed on it. I removed this version and Installed my Office 2008 English instead. All the menus are set to english now (File, Tools, etc.) but when I try to open up default templates such as premade Flyers, CD Covers, etc. all the pre-typed text is in French. I also notice when I go to the Spelling and Grammer properties it says French Dictionary as the default.

I tried Uninstalling Office 2008 like 5 times already, also trying to remove any Office files I could find in the Library/Preferences folder but these default Flyers etc are still showing up in French.

I am fairly new to Mac. Does someone have a suggestion on how I can remove everything French and reinstall it so that EVERYTHING is set to english?

Thanks much in advance!

;:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Removing Office 2008 is a task. I assume you used the Office uninstaller the first time? Well, if you did, it doesn't remove everything. Surprise? :Angry-Tongue:

What's probably happened is that the templates and user dictionary files were left behind from the first French installation. Since the uninstaller doesn't touch the templates folder or the dictionaries, they're still there. And when you installed the English version, it didn't overwrite the French files. (That's by default)

You can try this (and be careful):

Navigate to: /Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/

And copy the following to a temporary location: My Templates (folder), My Themes (folder), and normal.dotm. After copying them, delete the originals.

There are other folders that hold the default installed templates but I'm hesitant about you deleting them. They should have been overwritten by the English version but I'm not sure of that. Try what I suggested above first and if that doesn't work, post back or PM me and we'll try something else.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok...do I smoke crack or something? I kinda took your advice in some way and went into the folders you mentioned, but instead of reinstalling the software, I actually copied over the same folders from a friends computer who never had Office 2008 with the French installer installed and the 'Flyers' section of the Microsoft Project Gallery are still listed in what seems to be French.

So I tried opening the same Flyers on his computer and they are the are the same exact way! Did Microsoft just default these 'Flyers' in different languages? I never used the project gallery before and seeing it for the first time I was assuming these default projects were in french because of the version that was installed before.

chscag...if you have Office 2008 can you please check on your PC and see if yours is the same before I loose my mind. I installed this thing like 20 times thinking I must be doing something wrong. lol

Thanks again bud!:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. :) Just had a good laugh when I finally figured out what's going on with your templates. The Project Gallery templates including the "Flyers" are done in what is industry standard "Lorem Ipsum" language (Latin) not French.

Mine are the same way. All is normal. Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.