• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Install DVD burner

Reaction score
Hello, I need to install an external DVD burner to my imac G5. I have bought a DVD_BURN PIONEER|DVR-118LBK from Newegg. However, I should have gotten more info first. I don't have the slightest idea how to install it. It didn't come with any wires or installation discs. What do I need next? Do I need a firewire and what kind? Should I return it and start over? Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If it is an external superdrive, it will not install. Try setting it up connected firstly to the USB2 port and see if it is bootable when your OS disc is inserted. Generally most PPC (PowerPC) models are not USB bootable, but there are some reports of certain iMac G5's being so, including the iSight models..

If this fails, is the burner firewire connectable? Imagine not and all in all suggest your are better off taking in and having an internal installed, or exchanging it for a Firewire model and they are not cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It looks like you bought a raw full size drive. I believe the iMacs use some kind of low profile drive. You could buy an external case an place it into that.

A net search should come up with some instructions on how to swap out iMac drives, and what kind of model to buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.