Unable to charge or turn on iPod Classic

Reaction score
I have a 40GB iPod classic with some issues! When I press the middle button, the Apple logo appears but shortly after, the screen displays an ipod with a x_x face and a link to Apple - Support - iPod + iTunes. After 10 seconds, it will turn off on its own.

I tried to charge it to my computer and an outlet and doing both hasn't changed a thing. I also tried the reset (holding Menu and middle button), but this still hasn't worked. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Did you follow the link you were given and then click on the pic of the icon you are getting and go to this page ?

iPod displays a sad iPod icon

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know if this is the problem. I had a 40GB photo iPod. It used to do the same thing. After several disassemblies where I somehow got it to work, one day I got tired of that and just threw it down, and suddenly it worked. Had to bang it a few times after that and it would work. I figure the drive was getting stuck!

Other times I could do a restore and that fixed a similar but slightly different issue.

What eventually ended it's life was that fact I accidentally sat on it and damaged the center button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.