Newbie with a ' Doh! ' question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook pro 2010 version.
Hi all at mac forums. I have just purchased a macbook pro 13" and thought it would be a good idea to start backing things up a bit more often. I then bought a time capsule which I thought seemed like just the feller for the job.I now find that the TC is much more than just a backup drive and I can use it as a wireless router.My question,dim though it may be is ,does this make my linksys router redundant? and can I use th TC with my mac wirelessly and my PC via ethernet cable? P.S. the PC is on borrowed time now we have the Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I wouldn't throw away the Linksys, but if you have the TC setup correctly, it's not needed. And yes, you can connect your PC via ethernet while your new MBP is connected wireless. Time Machine will "see" the TC and use it for automatic backups.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook pro 2010 version.
Oh excellent, I will give that a go tomorrow when I have time to spare as I never get this sort of thing right first time. Cheers for the heads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You will, of course, have to plug your internet connection (modem) into the back of the TC, and probably will want to run airport utility to set up the time capsule as the main router. Really, it'll take all of 20 seconds to do if it's not set up that way already. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

And remember oldie - there ain't no d'oh questions only d'oh answers sometimes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You will, of course, have to plug your internet connection (modem) into the back of the TC, and probably will want to run airport utility to set up the time capsule as the main router.

So you're saying I can't replace my AT&T modem/router with a TC and still connect to my DSL service. Is that right? I'm not a hardware guru.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
So you're saying I can't replace my AT&T modem/router with a TC and still connect to my DSL service. Is that right? I'm not a hardware guru.

No, you'll still need your modem with DSL. I have the same set-up.

Reaction score
Windows, Mac and Bootcamp?? Confused...

**forum will not let me post a new thread so gonna post question here, hope its ok**

Hi there,

Saw newbie stuff was allowed to be in here and I think I fit in to that!
I've been a PC user for nearly my whole life and have only recently got a Mac for University when they had discounts going on.

My issue is that at the time of purchase I wanted it all to be Mac and Apple, so when they said do you want Windows on here I was like, if I wanted Windows I would of gone to PC World! Naïvely as I was at the time I now realise there are some things I still cant figure out on here that I knew how to do on a PC. Most are silly things with iwork etc etc but one that is playing on my mind and is making me kick myself is that if I got Windows I would of been able to play my Sims 2 games on my MacBook laptop.

So my question is can I have Windows as well as the Mac version (don't know what its called)?

I'm thinking NOOOO as it would change the entire style of the MacBook and make it Un-Macich completely, but as I am a newbie I wanted to see if there was another way around it. A tern I came across was Bootcamp, but have no idea what this is.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Sinniti

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
**forum will not let me post a new thread so gonna post question here, hope its ok**

Hi there,

Saw newbie stuff was allowed to be in here and I think I fit in to that!
I've been a PC user for nearly my whole life and have only recently got a Mac for University when they had discounts going on.

My issue is that at the time of purchase I wanted it all to be Mac and Apple, so when they said do you want Windows on here I was like, if I wanted Windows I would of gone to PC World! Naïvely as I was at the time I now realise there are some things I still cant figure out on here that I knew how to do on a PC. Most are silly things with iwork etc etc but one that is playing on my mind and is making me kick myself is that if I got Windows I would of been able to play my Sims 2 games on my MacBook laptop.

So my question is can I have Windows as well as the Mac version (don't know what its called)?

I'm thinking NOOOO as it would change the entire style of the MacBook and make it Un-Macich completely, but as I am a newbie I wanted to see if there was another way around it. A tern I came across was Bootcamp, but have no idea what this is.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Sinniti

Not quite sure what you mean by changing the style, but this guide should tell you just about everything you need to know:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.