Power Book Acting funny for a while now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Ok so my powerbook has been acting funny for a while now, On a desk it is getting really hot. 63.0 - 65.5 degrees C. I don't understand why and it is acting really slow too, will a clean install help this or is it a hardware problem, All I am doing is viewing the forums and I happen to have instant messenger open. Any help will be greatly apprieated.

I included a screen shot so you could see the processor temperatur monitor and see that I only have saffari and aim open, I do have limewire open in the back ground but i was not using it. that was just to see if I could find alien ware commercial because I think the graphics in it are prety cool, ok off my rant, does any body know what is happening to my powerbook?

Edit: I forgot to include the screen shot.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
Ok so my powerbook has been acting funny for a while now, On a desk it is getting really hot. 63.0 - 65.5 degrees C. I don't understand why and it is acting really slow too, will a clean install help this or is it a hardware problem, All I am doing is viewing the forums and I happen to have instant messenger open. Any help will be greatly apprieated.

I included a screen shot so you could see the processor temperatur monitor and see that I only have saffari and aim open, I do have limewire open in the back ground but i was not using it. that was just to see if I could find alien ware commercial because I think the graphics in it are prety cool, ok off my rant, does any body know what is happening to my powerbook?

Edit: I forgot to include the screen shot.

Mine gets that hot too. Might want to check if there are any app.s stuck running in the background.

Is that a realtime temp monitor? ...I was under the impression the powerbook could not provide real time temp. monitoring.

B

BrianH

Mine never gets above 48-50 (117 F). However i have noticed that if i have my ac adapter plugged in, that causes a nice 5-10 degree difference in temperature. Also how long do you leave it on for?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't leave it on for long right now I am actually have it on for a while becaues I have been burning a dvd since right after my final, and decided to come on to the forums for a little why I waited for the computer to be done with that project.

yes It is a real time temperature reading. I am not sure when they added the ability for the powerbook to provide real time temerature but on my new powerbook (new in december) it does have that abbility.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Latest Developments in the problem... really need help on this one guys.

So my computer has 1gb of ram in it, I ordered it that way and up until recently It said I had it in there. Now when I click on about this mac it says I only have 512, What can explain this?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 19

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get out your test CDs and run a memory test. It might be that one of your 512 sticks has gone bad.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
Get out your test CDs and run a memory test. It might be that one of your 512 sticks has gone bad.

Thank you, will do as soon as I get back from school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.