too much file size?

Reaction score
I've noticed something: when I use 'view info' on files on my usb memory stick, the file size is much bigger than when I use it on the same file on the desktop.

For example: I've got a gif file on my memory stick. Using 'view info' on that file it says:
Size: 32 KB on drive (7.129 bytes)

When I copy that same file on my desktop it says:
Size: 8 KB on drive (7.129 bytes)

Which makes more sense.

Why does it give 32 KB for a 7.129 bytes file when I vied the info on that file on a usb memory stick? It does that with all files on usb drives. The 7.129 bytes in this case seems to be the true file size, but for some reason 'view info' adds a significant file size to it. Can anyone explain this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think it will take more info.

Your Mac is _____
Formatted as ______
Memory stick formatted as _____

Maybe has something to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit ??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The real filesize will (and should) remain intact regardless of where the file is stored, but the value of "KB on drive" will change since different filesystems and drives will use differing number of sectors to identify the same information.

The flash drive is usually FAT32 and your Mac uses HFS..so don't sweat the difference as long as the file size (in paren) matches across the two locations..

I would get more technical..but then that'd probably just confuse the issue..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.