Digital camera doesn't show up on macbook.

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got the new macbook running Snow Leopard and for a digital camera I have a Nikon Coolpix s210. I connected it to my macbook via usb in hopes to import some photos for the first time on this mac.
iPhoto pops up when I connect my camera, but that's it. It stays gray and doesn't show a camera like it's supposed to. Also, my camera doesn't show up on my desktop. How do I fix this?
thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure. But the easy way to solve issues connecting any camera to a computer is to get a card reader and use it instead. Not sure what type of card that Nikon uses, but the readers are cheap... I use several like this

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. i don't plan on doing that though. I bought a mac in hopes of a fantastic computer such as everyone claims it is. I shouldn't have to make any other purchases (no matter the cost) to do something as simple as importing pictures... :/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but that response is yet another example of one with the thought that the OS developer is suppose to make sure their OS works with all 2,000 cameras that are out on the market for sale right now, rather than the ones that make the 2,000 cameras should make sure their cameras work with the 3 operating systems on the market.

Reaction score
Bobtomay beat me to what I was gonna say. The fact that the macbook does not recognize the camera is not the computer or the softwares fault. It has to do with the compatibility issue from the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Unless you really want to use iPhoto to transfer all your pictures then you can try turning off the auto startup in iPhoto. You can turn this off in iPhoto's preference general section. In the area were is it says connecting camera opens you can select it to no application.

Now see if the camera shows up on your desktop like an external hard drive. Since it works on the iMac then do you remember what settings you used on that computer? You might want to trying and figure out what you are doing differently on the iMac compared to your MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Did your camera not come with Nikon Transfer software?

OP
A
Reaction score
Unless you really want to use iPhoto to transfer all your pictures then you can try turning off the auto startup in iPhoto. You can turn this off in iPhoto's preference general section. In the area were is it says connecting camera opens you can select it to no application.

Now see if the camera shows up on your desktop like an external hard drive. Since it works on the iMac then do you remember what settings you used on that computer? You might want to trying and figure out what you are doing differently on the iMac compared to your MacBook.

Just tried it, and no it doesn't show up as an external hard drive. And honestly i don't remember any settings cause whenever i plugged it into the iMac it would work, i didn't have to change any settings. This is was in one of my classes at school.

Did your camera not come with Nikon Transfer software?

It did, and it does not show up in there. It does, however, work in Image Capture but i'm not a fan of that program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When you run Nikon Transfer it should pick up all the photos on the camera. I think it's a bit sensitive as to the order you connect the camera to the mac so you could check that out.

Reaction score
ImageCapture

I had this very same problem and felt really stupid when i realized what it was.
Im guessing that your camera doesnt pop up in the computer bit. Well i was getting so frustrated with mine I just randomly typed into spotlight 'camera' then in the results I saw something called imagecapture (my camera was plugged into the computer at this point). Your camera will be communicting wih this program but it doesnt pop up on your dektop or home menu. I felt so stupid after realizing this. I dont if this as helped maybe you already know about this program and its another problen but just check :) xxx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.