Need help sharing iPhoto between users on same system

Reaction score
I've searched and found people with similar problems, but none of their solutions seem to work.

I've adjusted my sharing options in System Preferences to make my Pictures folder Read & Write for all users. The little red dash has since been removed on the Pictures folder when looking at it on another User, but everything within the Pictures folder is still protected. *** is up with this, it should not be this hard.

Here's a pic of the sharing options from my side. Will post a pic from the other users view in a minute.

Screenshot2010-06-02at53644PM.png

From the other user
Screenshot2010-06-02at54808PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Those "Sharing" preferences are for users on other computers. If you want to share your pictures with users on the same computer, then either put them in your Public folder, or create a "Pictures" folder in the root (top level) directory (not in your home folder). If you do the latter, be sure to add the appropriate permissions. Right click the new Pictures folder, select "Get Info", set permissions as desired, and select the option to "Apply to enclosed items" (in the drop-down menu with the gear icon).

OP
O
Reaction score
Those "Sharing" preferences are for users on other computers. If you want to share your pictures with users on the same computer, then either put them in your Public folder, or create a "Pictures" folder in the root (top level) directory (not in your home folder). If you do the latter, be sure to add the appropriate permissions. Right click the new Pictures folder, select "Get Info", set permissions as desired, and select the option to "Apply to enclosed items" (in the drop-down menu with the gear icon).

I got it figured out. But I didn't have to use the Public folder, or create another Pictures folder in the "root directory".

All I did was give permission to the Pictures folder in my Home folder, along with permission over the actual iPhoto library. You got me in the right direction with the "Get info" route, so thanks.

And for anyone using this thread down the road, when opening the Library under a different user, you must hold the "option" key while opening the program to see the other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I got it figured out. But I didn't have to use the Public folder, or create another Pictures folder in the "root directory".

All I did was give permission to the Pictures folder in my Home folder, along with permission over the actual iPhoto library. You got me in the right direction with the "Get info" route, so thanks.

And for anyone using this thread down the road, when opening the Library under a different user, you must hold the "option" key while opening the program to see the other options.

Glad you sorted it out. I don't normally recommend resetting permissions for subfolders in one's home folder like how you did it, but so long it works to your liking, there's no good reason to not do it.

As for the iPhoto Library, you can enable sharing with other users in iPhoto's preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.