Corrupted iChat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Ahhh here we go more after shocks from my system failure. Basically my ibook forgot where to boot from after I tried to delete a 2.2gb Snapz pro movie which i can't delete to this day (Thats question numero uno). Ok so when I told it to boot from Panther it started working again with nothing deleted (I've made sure never to even try to delete that snapz pro file it always results in the same thing). So adium and ichat were both somehow corrupted, I fixed adium by replacing the currupted files with new ones. But iChat I didn't have any files to replace the currupted ones with. So I was wondering if anyone with spare time could send there ichat 2.1 (Full not the update) to [email protected]

Thanks.

Yes those of you who still have panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd try trashing the .plist file associated with iChat.

Just do a search for .plist or .pref files and delete any associated with iChat.
Then restart iChat and it should recreate those files.

As for your movie file - what exactly happens when you hit delete?
It might be an ownership issue, in which case get info on the file (apple+i) and then make sure your account is listed as the owner of the file.

If you can move it to the trash, but can't delete it from the trash once it's there, do a 'secure empty trash'. (Finder Menu -> Secure empty trash). That usually gets 'em.

Also try repairing permissions: Apps->Utilities->Disk Utility-> (select drive) -> hit 'repair disk permissions'

OP
johninc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, the plist was what I did to adium. The secure doesn't work but I'll try the permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One down, two to go then eh?

Try on of these:
a)
Search for your receipts folder, and move any ichat-related .pkg files you find in there to the trash (temporarily!).

Log out, and back in and then try running software updater again.

The receipt file basically lets your system know what (apple) apps you have installed and what versions they are.
If you delete the receipt, you should be able to trick the system into getting the full version again off the server.

If that doesn't work try b):

Go to versiontracker.com and get Pacifist.

Install it and then insert your (panther) system disk that came with your mac. Select 'Open OS X packages' in Pacifist and wait for it to load the packages.
In the search box enter iChat and try to find the ichat.app in the search results on the right.

Drag that to your apps folder and see if it'll start.

Hope this works!

OP
johninc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks but travis sent me a copy of ichat. lol but I'll still contribute to your user rep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that's right, you wanted someone to send you one..
Kind of forgot that part the second time round...

Glad it's all working again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.