Transferring mailboxes from one mac to another

Reaction score
I was just helping someone out yesterday who purchased a new macbook pro. He had mail on his older macbook and wanted all of his mailboxes transferred to his new macbook. Note he did not want the account settings just the local mailboxes. He had started up a new account on the new one.

Anyway, he had about 20 mailboxes on his old one and I simply copied them from the /Users/username/Library/Mailboxes/ folder on the old one to the new macbook pro.

I opened up Mail on the new Mac and there were all of his mailboxes I had just transferred over.

I get a call from him today saying that while the boxes are there, there is no mail inside the boxes. He checked the sizes of the mailboxes in the Library/Mai/Mailboxes and they were correct - some over 2GB.

Is there something I missed or did wrong?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you also copy all the *.mbox folders and info that they contain which are listed under his account?

For example: I have a mailbox that I call "Archived" here is how it's listed =

/Users/my user name/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/archived.mbox/

There are also sub-folders below each *.mbox folder that can contain attachments and messages. All would have to be copied exactly as they were on his old machine.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, copied the entire contents of .mbx folders over to the new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Will the Export feature in Mail and then the using the Import feature on the new computer solve the problem of copying the Mail Contents.
It seems to me that would be easier to do.

DavidH

sjh

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. I want to add my macbook pro mailboxes to my imac, without replacing the mailboxes already on my imac mail system. the folders were added, but I can't see the emails in them through mail (although i can see them in finder, so they are definitely there on my imac)...any ideas?

sjh

Reaction score
Problem solved!

All I needed to do was to select the newly copied mailboxes in MacMail and then select Mailboxes/Repair in the drop down menu. All the messages then appeared!

Reaction score
on 10.6.8

All I needed to do was to select the newly copied mailboxes in MacMail and then select Mailboxes/Repair in the drop down menu. All the messages then appeared!

Thanks, that procedure worked for me too. On 10.6.8, the menu item is Mailbox -> Rebuild

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.