.net framework

Reaction score
My county clerks office just changed the search engine for searching records to .Net Frameworks. I am using a ppc G5 soon hope to have new Imac. What can I use to access this search with? I will not install windows to do this. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll have to go Mono:OSX - Mono to use the .Net applications on Mac..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't install Windows on that PPC anyway. And unless you know what you're doing (programming) you might want to think twice before installing the MONO package. Make sure you read the installation instructions and then know how to use terminal.

If you do get a new iMac you might want to change your mind about installing Windows as that would certainly, IMO, be easier than MONO.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From what I've seen, Mono is a "click-click-done" install. Does the Mono framework not work in the background like .NET does when needed?

Also note that Mono is not feature for feature compatible with .NET. IIRC, Mono is a few "releases" behind .NET. For instance, if .NET is at version 4, Mono may only support features from .NET up to version 3.

As noted here, "Support for C# 4.0 is feature complete (as of December 2009) but not yet released in a stable version." This is just one example but the point made is worth noting - not everything may be supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why are you asking? Do you work for the clerk's office? Or are you developing for them under contract? If you are working for them, then they (as your employer) should provide you with a PC to development work.

If you're not a programmer, it shouldn't matter what framework they're using. They should have a web interface that will work with any computer with an internet browser.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True but we know that's not always the case. It could be possible that they are using .NET to develop ActiveX components.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.