Dashboard Icon dead and disappeared

Reaction score
Can anyone help. I'm new to computers full-stop but I love my Mac and have had it almost a year. With the help of the apple guys I had a great selection of widgets appear on my dashboard. I dragged the dashboard icon onto my Dock and all was well. But now when I click to open the dashboard icon on the Dock nothing happens. There is no blue light under it and it doesn't open. I can still open my dashboard through my customized mouse click but not from the Dock???? I have thought about dragging it off of the Dock and reinstalling it from the Mac's applications folder, but the icon isn't there. I'm sure it was there originally and that was how I put it on the dock in the first place. I have a dashboard icon on my dock that doesn't do anything, any ideas please?

Reaction score
Dragging if off wouldn't delete the app, it just removes the shortcut from your Dock. If you navigate to your Applications folder with the Finder and double click on Dashboard in there, does it open the Dashboard?

If yes: I would drag the current icon off the Dock, start it via Finder, which should add the icon to your Dock again. Then right/option-click the icon -> Options -> Keep in Dock.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you navigate to your Applications folder with the Finder and double click on Dashboard in there, does it open the Dashboard?

I have thought about dragging it off of the Dock and reinstalling it from the Mac's applications folder, but the icon isn't there. I'm sure it was there originally and that was how I put it on the dock in the first place.

The Dock icon doesn't function because Dashboard is not in the Applications Folder. Use Spotlight to search your hard drive to see if it's hiding somewhere. If not, you'll have to reinstall Dashboard. I'm not sure if that can be done off or the Applications disc that you may or may not be able to find. (one of the two gray discs that came with the Mac)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, but the Dashboard isn't in my Applications folder at all. The only way I can open Dashboard is either F4 key or customized mouse click. If I search for Dashboard in Spotlight nothing comes up. Where has it gone if it isn't in the Applications anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Since it runs from F4, it's got to be somewhere! Try using Command F and search with as many different option combinations as you can. Once you find it, put it back in Applications, remove the Dock icon, and drag the original back to the Dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.