• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

so microsoft wants my companies blood....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thought it was the golden rule, no install disc with the machine no installation. Was when purchasing a pre-loved Dell Latitude. It came with the CoA sticker on the underside but the company selling would not install Windows XP. Had to go out and find a Dell Windows XP Pro disc. Thought actually purchasing the disc without a machine was the illegal part.

Good luck and you know if was not for lawyers, we would not need lawyers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2010), iPhone 3gS, and a few dozen ipods from various years
i try to avoid HP computers to begin with .. but the last few i have had to deal with did not come with a backup or reinstall CD at all new ... you have it on a special partition on the HD .. if you wanted a physical CD it was something you had to get seperatly from HP or burn your own from the partition ...

the issue is a lot of those restore CD's have the cd key already on them as well so they match up to the machine they came with (with dell at least) so even including one you have from a stack it may have to have the number changed to match the one on the side of the case (well i know this is true with the xp svc pack 3 and vista business disc's from dell i have a stack of about 40 of those) ...

OP
johnnyFIVE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
All of my Dell restore discs the coa is irrelevant. Any serial will work. Technically they should of removed the coa sticker from that machine to sell it. Even with no install as this Microsoft case against us says. Hoping for updates soon it's no good when stuff takes forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You are lucky. The last Compaq I bought had the restore on some special hard drive partition... burning it to CDs required 21... yes 21 CDs. I'm sure if I every have to restore it that there will also be tons of bloat on those CDs as 21 Cds was about 2 DVDs worth of data and I'm pretty certain that the biggest copy of Windows would never take more than 1 DVD.

That's exactly how mine were too! Mess up the hard drive and you are TOTALLY screwed!
I went to make a back up with CDs, thinking that it might take 3 at most...nope! I ended up stopping at 9 because my frustration was about to cause all those CDs to snap!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's exactly how mine were too! Mess up the hard drive and you are TOTALLY screwed!
I went to make a back up with CDs, thinking that it might take 3 at most...nope! I ended up stopping at 9 because my frustration was about to cause all those CDs to snap!

Compaq = Computer on Craq.

At one time, they also used to store a large portion of the BIOS on the HDD too. It wasn't a huge deal if you wipe the drive, but then if you ever wanted to edit the BIOS again, you were hosed.

Reaction score
Compaq = Computer on Craq.

At one time, they also used to store a large portion of the BIOS on the HDD too. It wasn't a huge deal if you wipe the drive, but then if you ever wanted to edit the BIOS again, you were hosed.

That's a funny way to talk Compaq, :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.